Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So by watching a commercial I become incapable of making choices?
Are you suggesting that American Companies are wasting billions and billions of dollars on advertising?

Businesses advertise to influence behavior. Ultimately, the individual has a choice, but sometimes that choice can be based on false impressions created by advertising, or simply on the successful correlation between a product and other desires - like getting laid by drinking the right beer - or even by drinking beer in general; or buying the manly beer; or being a bad mother by choosing the wrong brand of peanut butter; or being rough and rugged by buying a three ton pick-up; or don't vote for this guy because he murders babies; and the list goes on and on.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Are you suggesting that American Companies are wasting billions and billions of dollars on advertising?
You've avoided my question, I see. "So by watching a commercial I become incapable of making choices?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Businesses advertise to influence behavior. Ultimately, the individual has a choice, but sometimes that choice can be based on false impressions created by advertising, or simply on the successful correlation between a product and other desires - like getting laid by drinking the right beer - or even by drinking beer in general; or buying the manly beer; or being a bad mother by choosing the wrong brand of peanut butter; or being rough and rugged by buying a three ton pick-up; or don't vote for this guy because he murders babies; and the list goes on and on.
Some people actually have the intellectual capacity to reason things out on their own. I'm a big football fan, so I get bombarded by beer and car commercials. Ultimately, I don't drink much beer, and I'm still tooling around in a 1998 Olds Bravada. Go figure...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
How about McDonald's marketing to children? Granted, it's the parents who buy Happy Meals. But they do so after their kids beg for it and their parents acquiesce because they're tiring of the whining or they don't want to deprive their kids of the McDonald's "cultural experience." Scoff if you will, but it's true.
I've got a 9 year old and two 5 year olds. They love McDonalds. We take them, but if we take them once every few months (which is about what we do), it won't kill them. We run the house and make the choices about what to eat and when. The battle ain't just about Happy Meals. The battle is every night, and its also about green beans and carrots. We just make sure the kids eat what they should, which I think is our job as parents. Sure, some parents don't, but we don't need to create legislation and the ensuing bureaucracies based on the 80 - 20 rule.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
You've avoided my question, I see. "So by watching a commercial I become incapable of making choices?"

Some people actually have the intellectual capacity to reason things out on their own. I'm a big football fan, so I get bombarded by beer and car commercials. Ultimately, I don't drink much beer, and I'm still tooling around in a 1998 Olds Bravada. Go figure...
Quote:
Ultimately, the individual has a choice,
I believe the above responded to your question. I suggest that, in the name of honesty, you retract the first statement of your last post.

Now, do you deny that companies spend billions on advertising in order to influence behavior?

Can you say that none of your choices are affected by advertising?

The second question gives you an opportunity to brag, and the first tests your ability to actually acknowledge a fact contrary to your position.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 10-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I've got a 9 year old and two 5 year olds. They love McDonalds....
...and I wonder why that is.

I conceded way back in this thread that I don't believe in a city government regulating trans fats and that I don't have an easy answer to the obesity and diet-derived health problems in this country.

BTW, aren't you the same fella who proposed making people pay health insurance premiums in accordance with their lifestyle choices (diet, alcohol, smoking)? Yet, you object to regulating trans fats which have been shown to contribute to heart disease and diabetes. There are natural alternatives to these dangerous substances and always have been. Their primary purpose is to increase the shelf life and decrease refrigeration requirements of processed foods (primarily baked goods). It seems to me we can get rid of trans fats and eat fresher, more healthy real food as a result. What's not to like?

So we should protest the government regulating such substances while acquiescing to having private companies jack up our insurance rates based upon their views as to what impacts our health. Interesting.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
...and I wonder why that is.

I conceded way back in this thread that I don't believe in a city government regulating trans fats and that I don't have an easy answer to the obesity and diet-derived health problems in this country.

BTW, aren't you the same fella who proposed making people pay health insurance premiums in accordance with their lifestyle choices (diet, alcohol, smoking)? Yet, you object to regulating trans fats which have been shown to contribute to heart disease and diabetes. There are natural alternatives to these dangerous substances and always have been. Their primary purpose is to increase the shelf life and decrease refrigeration requirements of processed foods (primarily baked goods). It seems to me we can get rid of trans fats and eat fresher, more healthy real food as a result. What's not to like?

So we should protest the government regulating such substances while acquiescing to having private companies jack up our insurance rates based upon their views as to what impacts our health. Interesting.
But see, Finn, if we leave it to big business to make all of the decisions, they get to control our lives without having to deal with the middlemen in office. You know, those danged politicians aren't always dependable even when they pay good money for them.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
How about McDonald's marketing to children? Granted, it's the parents who buy Happy Meals. But they do so after their kids beg for it and their parents acquiesce because they're tiring of the whining or they don't want to deprive their kids of the McDonald's "cultural experience." Scoff if you will, but it's true.
Those aren't parents, they're adults living in the same house.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

It's all in how you go about it, when the granddaughters were here, Charlie the three year old looked at the bowl of chicken noodle soup and declared she did not like it, especially the green bits (peas), We got her to taste a spoonful. Then another spoonful, the next thing we knew she was cleaning the bowl, peas and all. Kids automatically say they don't like anything they have never seen before so we have a standard line, we tell them that their taste buds change every 9 months, so they really need to taste and see, They also went gaga (not the singer) over the stuffed Danish pancakes. Also the little wieners in pastry, and bowls of fresh fruit.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Is there a single soul in this country that doesn't know cigarettes are bad for you?

It's all about the parents, at least that's the argument for crass TV.

Pete
Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Is there a single soul in this country that doesn't know cigarettes are bad for you?
Tobacco industry executives. They testified to Congress accordingly, if you recall.