Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Mode of operation, Pete. My tongue-in-cheek post illustrates how the manipulation works. I'm surpirised we haven't already seen TP pickets screaming "NPR ISN'T BRAINWASHING MY KIDS, DAMMIT!"....................................

Wait a minute.

Just realized something.........

Does the TP even have rallies anymore? Or have the barking dogs been put to heel, 'cuz GOP strategists think a return to power is in the bag? It has been a little while hasn't it?

Dave
Really like that metaphor Dave. It sounds like it comes from a hunter.

BTW, I'd rather have my kids brainwashed by NPR than by Fox. At least their thoughts would be replaced with something of value. They're far too much of free thinkers for that to happen anyway.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Area Man

Why, Thank You, Don.

Dave
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

While he helmed TotN (something I eagerly listened to every day on my way home from work), Juan seemed like a reasonable and fair person. When he started to appear on Fox, I thought that it was an honest attempt to, in some small way, earn their self-proclaimed Fair and Balanced™ moniker. His statements, however, have lowered my opinion of him considerably. And yet, his sentiment is being shared and echoed even by world leaders, Angela Merkel, coming to mind; he's not alone in his fears that some Muslim horde is trying to usurp western civilization for their own ends.

NPR firing him over the matter is a little hard, though. Were I in charge I would have invited him to Conan's TotN to let him explain and defend his comments. Still, as free as he is to make the comments, NPR should be just as free to let him go over the matter. To say otherwise would be holding an unjustifiable double standard.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Mode of operation, Pete. My tongue-in-cheek post illustrates how the manipulation works. I'm surpirised we haven't already seen TP pickets screaming "NPR ISN'T BRAINWASHING MY KIDS, DAMMIT!"....................................

Wait a minute.

Just realized something.........

Does the TP even have rallies anymore? Or have the barking dogs been put to heel, 'cuz GOP strategists think a return to power is in the bag? It has been a little while hasn't it?

Dave
They don't need the teabaggers anymore what with all the corporate funded BS polluting the airwaves of late. Love the one that starts "Fact . . . " and then proceeds with the most blatant lies. I see that we now have the Business Round Table and the Chamberpot of Commerce clogging the courts with junk.

Anyone want to buy a really nice piece of property, I think it is time to emmigrate before they put the country in the toilet again.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGi View Post
While he helmed TotN (something I eagerly listened to every day on my way home from work), Juan seemed like a reasonable and fair person. When he started to appear on Fox, I thought that it was an honest attempt to, in some small way, earn their self-proclaimed Fair and Balanced™ moniker. His statements, however, have lowered my opinion of him considerably. And yet, his sentiment is being shared and echoed even by world leaders, Angela Merkel, coming to mind; he's not alone in his fears that some Muslim horde is trying to usurp western civilization for their own ends.

NPR firing him over the matter is a little hard, though. Were I in charge I would have invited him to Conan's TotN to let him explain and defend his comments. Still, as free as he is to make the comments, NPR should be just as free to let him go over the matter. To say otherwise would be holding an unjustifiable double standard.

Welcome.

Muslims have been trying to usurp western civilization for centuries. Flaring up again considerably post WW2. However, it would seem that after centuries of Crusades, Wars, Negotiations, occupation and Inquisitions the problem persists. Obviously, neither the military option nor the endless negotiaition process works. So, what are we to do?

I agree with your assessment of Mr. Williams firing.

Dave
Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

No less than the WASPs have been trying to control the rest of the world for at least as long. But, I can safely say that no Muslim I know has any more desire to knock down St. Paul's than I have to waltz into Jordan and make the King kiss the Pope's ring. That's part of the problem of making blanket statements. There are those, Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Scientologist, or any of any other theology that do want to do away with other peoples' way of life (or just do away with the other people, period). But to lump everyone all together is not constructive or rational.

But, that's all beside the point. Mr. Williams exercised his right to say what he said, and NPR exercised its right to do what it did. Juan is intelligent enough that he could have added nuance to what he is said, not necessarily to make it politically correct, but to simply be fair and reasonable. He chose not to.

Let's look what he actually said: "But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they're identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Does he then get nervous that his house will be foreclosed upon if he sees a man in a very expensive suit with a briefcase and a wafer thin watch? "... I think, you know, he's identifying himself first and foremost as a Banker...". Or if he sees a red-haired man wearing a green suit and a bowler hat smelling of potatoes, he ducks and covers for fear of a car blowing up "... I think, you know, he's identifying himself first and foremost as an Irishman..."?

He's demonstrated time and again that he's an intelligent and insightful person. Later in the interview he even takes O'Reilly to task over conflating Islam and terrorism, attempting to distinguish between ordinary Muslims and extremists. So, the only conclusion I can come to is that he actually feels this way and is making his judgements based on emotion rather than reason or even evidence. I don't want my news from someone who cannot or chooses not to make the distinction.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
He's demonstrated time and again that he's an intelligent and insightful person. Later in the interview he even takes O'Reilly to task over conflating Islam and terrorism, attempting to distinguish between ordinary Muslims and extremists. So, the only conclusion I can come to is that he actually feels this way and is making his judgements based on emotion rather than reason or even evidence. I don't want my news from someone who cannot or chooses not to make the distinction.
Or that he's bowing a bit to his Fox (pay)masters while on their network. Consider for a moment that he can't appear as a full-fledged liberal and be judged as reasonable by the Fox audience. He has to tack right a bit, even when playing the role of their token liberal.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

He just said what just about everybody thinks.

Pete
Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Loyal Opposition

Smile

Quote:
No less than the WASPs have been trying to control the rest of the world for at least as long. But, I can safely say that no Muslim I know has any more desire to knock down St. Paul's than I have to waltz into Jordan and make the King kiss the Pope's ring. That's part of the problem of making blanket statements. There are those, Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Scientologist, or any of any other theology that do want to do away with other peoples' way of life (or just do away with the other people, period). But to lump everyone all together is not constructive or rational.

But, that's all beside the point. Mr. Williams exercised his right to say what he said, and NPR exercised its right to do what it did. Juan is intelligent enough that he could have added nuance to what he is said, not necessarily to make it politically correct, but to simply be fair and reasonable. He chose not to.

Let's look what he actually said: "But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they're identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Does he then get nervous that his house will be foreclosed upon if he sees a man in a very expensive suit with a briefcase and a wafer thin watch? "... I think, you know, he's identifying himself first and foremost as a Banker...". Or if he sees a red-haired man wearing a green suit and a bowler hat smelling of potatoes, he ducks and covers for fear of a car blowing up "... I think, you know, he's identifying himself first and foremost as an Irishman..."?

You articulated well the point I had tried to make anecdotally. While it is possible to imagine a person without prejudice, I have never met one. As beings capable of reason, we are capable of making judgments that allow reason to overcome emotion or prejudice. I only wish we had leaders who would accept the responsibility to govern in a way that does not appeal to the prejudices held by factions within the body politic, but to the better part of our nature.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
He just said what just about everybody thinks.

Pete
Do you actually think this when you're already inside security at an airport? Dulles Airport is like the United Nations in terms on nationalities and manners of dress. I never give it a second thought when people in Muslim garb are around. BTW, Muslim garb is generally only worn by women anyway. You scared of girls, Pete?

I go to Middle Restaurants all the time - one of my favorite foods. Guess what? The restaurant owners and lots of the patrons wear Muslim garb. I'm so scared that I want to toss my cookies. -Not!!!