Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Juan Williams fired from NPR ...

... for something he said on O'Reilly's show.

"NPR said in a statement that Williams's remarks - including that he gets "worried" and "nervous" when he sees people dressed in Muslim-style clothing on airplanes - "were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Pretty lame grounds for firing, IMHO. Is the firing offense that he had these feelings or that he vocalized them?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Area Man

Not good. You know damn well what we'll be hearing on Fox News next. That he was "fired for having a thought of his own".

Yes, I would agree, lame grounds. If he had stated that he "hates" them, or went way over the top with some insane "All Muslims are evil" conspiracy theory, I could see it.
But, for simply stating he has a nervous reaction? Nah, I think after what we've all been through, being a little "nervous" is normal.

Look at it this way. As much as I despise Beck, I have never advocated that Fox should fire him. He's an ass. He's doing more harm than good, IMO. But, he does have a right to speak his mind and Fox has a right to employ him if they wish. I wouldn't shed any tears if some terrible tragedy did befall him, but I wouldn't support it being done deliberately.(It just amazes me that anyone can listen to all of that drivel, nonsense, obvious and almost amateurish propaganda techniques and actually take it as Gospel. (What a bunch of cattle!)

Dave
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

'Put Juan foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door.....'

Groan.

This is what I mean about PC - can't be honest. An entire culture of lies.

Pete
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Loyal Opposition

He declined to comment to the Washington Post, but he will appear on O'Reilley's show tonight. As you said, Dave, not good. The big mouths on the right have called for in investigation of NPR funding.

I'm a big fan of NPR, but I don't like this decision. It was an over-reaction to some ill-conceived comments. I think the most damaging thing Williams said was that those wearing Muslim clothing are showing that they place being Muslim ahead of everything else. Well, so do some Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Mormons, etc. Saying that an individua'ls focus on his or her Muslim religion is scary, is saying that all Muslims can be suspected of being terrorists. Accordingly, his statements reflected poorly on his analytical skills. Unfortunately, NPR's reaction reflected even more poorly on NPR's credibility.

Similarly, our fears can reflect our experience. Having grown up in suburbia, I have to confess to feeling some anxiety when in a primarily black community at night, or in coming across someone who dresses and carries themselves in the manner of a "gangsta." Our emotional responses to situations are not always reasonable, but confessing to such a feeling is not the same as confessing that one holds an overall prejudiced view. For example, my office is in a very diverse neighborhood in midtown KC. When I work late, I make an effort to overcome my anxiety by speaking to/acknowledging whomever might be passing by when I head to my car. Accordingly, having irrational feeling does not necessarily result in acting negatively on those feelings.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think it's possible that his firing is a manifestation of NPR's long-standing discomfort over having one of their own lending credibility to one of the rabble-rousing blowhard know-nothings over on Fox News. This impolitic comment just gave them an excuse.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think it's possible that his firing is a manifestation of NPR's long-standing discomfort over having one of their own lending credibility to one of the rabble-rousing blowhard know-nothings over on Fox News. This impolitic comment just gave them an excuse.
If they are going to use his comments as a pretext to firing him, they picked a pretty bad pretext. Pretext is just another word for lying about the reason for an action. As I said, this event is damages NPR's credibility.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
If they are going to use his comments as a pretext to firing him, they picked a pretty bad pretext. Pretext is just another word for lying about the reason for an action. As I said, this event is damages NPR's credibility.

Regards,

D-Ray
This has been simmering for over 1.5 years.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2...1.html?print=1

Like lots of things, this probably goes back to the almighty dollar. I would bet that there was concern that NPR donors may be offended by Williams' Fox News' presence.

Personally, I had no issue with him being on Fox News Sunday (the broadcast network Sunday morning talkie). OTOH, his presence on O'Reilly did somehow dignify this blowhard's show and provided some faux balance (as Colmes once did for Hannity). That said, it's hard to be upset about a occasional voice of reason on Fox News.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
He declined to comment to the Washington Post, but he will appear on O'Reilley's show tonight. As you said, Dave, not good. The big mouths on the right have called for in investigation of NPR funding.

Regards,

D-Ray
Let me guess......They will find shocking evidence that NPR has recieved funds from "known progressive individuals and organizations". They may even have ties to Chicago University where the dreaded Bill Ayers works. NPR is also reportedly supported by the very core of evil itself----The Obama Administration!" Eeeeeeekkkkkk!!!!!

And every schmuck in America will demand NPR be permanently silenced, because "real" freedom of speech must be preserved.

Dave
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

They brought it on themselves. It shows how strictly the left enforces it's version of PC on its' members. Dissent is NOT ALLOWED.

And out of all the lefties on talk shows, he's the Juan I liked

Pete
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Area Man

Mode of operation, Pete. My tongue-in-cheek post illustrates how the manipulation works. I'm surpirised we haven't already seen TP pickets screaming "NPR ISN'T BRAINWASHING MY KIDS, DAMMIT!"....................................

Wait a minute.

Just realized something.........

Does the TP even have rallies anymore? Or have the barking dogs been put to heel, 'cuz GOP strategists think a return to power is in the bag? It has been a little while hasn't it?

Dave