Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Not to purge bigotry, but to enforce their own.

Pete
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think there's little argument that the GOP has created a more comfortable "home" for racists, homophobes and religious zealots than the Democrats have. To say otherwise is denying the obvious.
Tell that to George Allen and Trent Lott. Meanwhile, Biden is Veep and Harry Reid is Speaker of the House.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

When Biden and Reid make a stupid statement like that, it is going contrary to their record of advocating proposals that help minority Americans. They embarrass themselves when they slip in that way, and will usually apologize. That is far different from using a rhetoric that plays into racial hatred - Gingrich and his anti Muslim statement; comments of Kenyan anti-colonialism; several members of congress spouting the birther nonsense, making the "invasion" of brown people from the south into a big issue, while ignoring that this administration's record for enforcing immigration law far exceeds anything accomplished by the past administration. What percentage of those who believe that Obama is a Muslim support the GOP? The same with those who believe that he was not born here? Do you think those misconceptions started with Democratic propaganda? There is a significant difference in the way the parties fashion their messages, and the GOP fashions part of its own to feed into racist tendencies.

Regards,

D-ray
Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Tell that to George Allen and Trent Lott. Meanwhile, Biden is Veep and Harry Reid is Speaker of the House.
As I said racism is unfortunately still pervasive in our society. However, one party seems to have made it a campaign strategy to appeal to these base instincts.

You can pull up all the anecdotes you want. All they will do if affirm my assertion that racism is everywhere. They do nothing to disprove the larger point that the GOP tries to capitalize on the pervasive nature of racism through its unsavory campaign tactics.

If you don't accept this premise, please explain to me the Southern Strategy and Willie Horton in a way that will set me straight.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I would say folks have reason to be anti-Muslim; that Kenyan anti colonial statement is policital, not racist; ditto for the birthers; the invasion of brown people (is that a quote?) is anti immigration.

Not race-based.

Pete

[Edit: Willie Horton was crime based]
Old 10-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I would say folks have reason to be anti-Muslim; that Kenyan anti colonial statement is policital, not racist; ditto for the birthers; the invasion of brown people (is that a quote?) is anti immigration.

Not race-based.

Pete

I don't fully agree, but for the sake of argument, I'll stipulate your points.

How about the Southern Strategy?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

If you don't accept this premise, please explain to me the Southern Strategy and Willie Horton in a way that will set me straight.
Ultimately it was Al Gore that gave the bush campaign the info on the Mass prisoner furlough program, so I'll defer to ol' Al.

But if we have to go back to the 1960's to find evidence of potential Republican racial politics, then we should surely discuss the prominent Dems of that period that actually acted far more overtly. Also, if you don't have Southern Democrats who were at that time allegedly disaffected by the LBJ's administration's support for civil rights, then you have no need for a "Southern Strategy".
Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
But if we have to go back to the 1960's to find evidence of potential Republican racial politics, then we should surely discuss the prominent Dems of that period that actually acted far more overtly. Also, if you don't have Southern Democrats who were at that time allegedly disaffected by the LBJ's administration's support for civil rights, then you have no need for a "Southern Strategy".
It started then and really hasn't changed much. Today's GOP near-monopoly in the South (and any national election majority since) can trace its roots to LBJ's civil rights efforts and the defection, en masse, of the racist politicians and their followers to the GOP. Dat's the facts, Jack. No pussy-footing around it.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Not race-based.

Pete

Pete, you are either naive or an extremely faithful adherent to the party line.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Ultimately it was Al Gore that gave the bush campaign the info on the Mass prisoner furlough program, so I'll defer to ol' Al.

We probably need to go back fifteen years to find a liberal republican. The southern racists were Democrats because they hated the republicans. The passage of the Civil Rights Act gave them reason to hate the democrats more. The rhetoric has simply become more sophisticated these days. The GOP cannot play to its base without leaving room in its rhetoric for its adherents to harbor racial prejudices.

Regards,

D-Ray