Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Area Man

An interesting read.

From the NAACP. It's a rather lengthy and exhaustive study of the various Tea Party organizations and the affiliations of Tea Party leaders, both past and present.

http://naacp.3cdn.net/36b2014e1dddfe3c81_v7m6bls07.pdf

I realize some of us will immediately denounce it as biased distortion, propaganda, etc. But, I think it's really just an evaluation of current events by folks who have good reason to be concerned.

BTW, David Duke is considering another run for President in 2012?
Why do you suppose he figures he has a chance this time around?
And why do you suppose he chooses to run as a Republican?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-21-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I think that some people are hitching a ride on the publicity that the Tea party has stirred up. There are some bad apples in every barrel. Here is a link to another study you may find interesting.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...t-tea-partiers

It seems to point out that the average Tea Party member or supporter is not racist, nor homophobic, nor followers of the "birthers" beliefs

Last edited by JJIII; 10-21-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I think that some people are hitching a ride on the publicity that the Tea party has stirred up. There are some bad apples in every barrel. Here is a link to another study you may find interesting.

This is a blog from Fox.

I would only read something like this to see how the fine people on the extreme right are being led.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
From the NAACP. It's a rather lengthy and exhaustive study of the various Tea Party organizations and the affiliations of Tea Party leaders, both past and present.

http://naacp.3cdn.net/36b2014e1dddfe3c81_v7m6bls07.pdf

I realize some of us will immediately denounce it as biased distortion, propaganda, etc. But, I think it's really just an evaluation of current events by folks who have good reason to be concerned.

BTW, David Duke is considering another run for President in 2012?
Why do you suppose he figures he has a chance this time around?
And why do you suppose he chooses to run as a Republican?

Dave
I'm sorry, but this is more than I can stomach. Race baiting is now front and center in this campaign, lead by candidates without any other options or hope for election or re-election. Because they have a willing instrument in the NAACP to fan and try to add the mantle of credibility to the race baiting, that's supposed to make it OK?

We're supposed to look the other way and ignore when Harry Reid or Dick Biden make stupid, bigoted comments, but lets trot out the big guns and play the race card in an attempt to mow down our political opponents?

Please. Enough already.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Obama's a very clean, well spoken, ....

Even LaBron is jumping on the poor race-haters me wagon. So THAT'S why we're pissed, even though we treated him like a king.

Pete
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I'm sorry, but this is more than I can stomach. Race baiting is now front and center in this campaign, lead by candidates without any other options or hope for election or re-election. Because they have a willing instrument in the NAACP to fan and try to add the mantle of credibility to the race baiting, that's supposed to make it OK?

You believe it from the assholes on the right don't you? They have no "willing instruments"? They never try to "race bait"? Come on. Deep down inside. Do you really believe Karl Rove is an honest man? Think everything you hear from the right wing punitry is the "Gods honest truth"?
If you do, I'm disappointed. Thought you were smarter than that.

We're supposed to look the other way and ignore when Harry Reid or Dick Biden make stupid, bigoted comments, but lets trot out the big guns and play the race card in an attempt to mow down our political opponents?

Why not? Your side has been doing it for decades. They're just a little better at it.They're much better at getting people to believe that they're so "Biblical" that everything they do is strictly because they "Love America". Such bullshit.

Please. Enough already.
As you said, "Please, enough already."

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-21-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

Please. Enough already.
lol

again, thou dost protest too much
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post

It seems to point out that the average Tea Party member or supporter is not racist, nor homophobic, nor followers of the "birthers" beliefs
Without respect to the source, the methods of the research behind that report are, at best, suspect. The researcher's results are based solely on her observations at Beck's rally. Recall that Beck had admonished those planning to attend to leave their signs at home. It was a carefully orchestrated media event. One cannot conduct a study of such an event and draw any valid conclusions about the tea party movement that has been operating for over a year now.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Truth be told (IMHO), advocacy groups such as the NAACP (and others on both sides of the aisle) feel a need to do things that will perpetuate their own need for being. I think there's certainly a shred of truth in the report (as all such advocacy reports have), but it is certainly not the last, nor the authoritative, word on the subject.

Is there still racism in this country? Yes.
Is there more racism on the fringes of the political right that in other parts of our society? Maybe so (actually probably so).
Does this automatically discredit the rest of their message? No (the inconsistencies and rational disconnects do so, not that fact that a certain percentage of them may have racist/nativist tendencies). These tendencies exist everywhere in our society.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Finn said what I was trying to say, and much better obviously.