Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There were good and bad teachers back then, and its still the same way. What comes out of a school is more a reflection on the people raising these kids, then who is teaching them.

It takes a village ? My ass, it starts and ends with the parents lap.
Some folks succeed because of the way they were brought up, and some despite they way they were brought up, and vice versa.

Gotta disagree with ya about it takes a village. My boys can point back to many adults who took part in their activities and had a positive influence on them. (They also did a pretty good job of identifying those adults who were in the activities to serve their own needs.) I don't know that they would have the work ethic and social conscience they do today without the influence of people they saw working hard and giving selflessly of their time.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Area Man

Quote:
There were good and bad teachers back then, and its still the same way. What comes out of a school is more a reflection on the people raising these kids, then who is teaching them.

I can only agree with this, except I do believe "the village" does have some effect on how a persons view of the world is formed.

I don't know how many absolutely lousy parents I have seen blame the school system for all of their kids problems. I would think teaching a child social skills, discipline, religious beliefs and work ethic belongs in the home. The school shouldn't be asked to do any more than teach the basic academics. Period.

As a side note; I also find it interesting that the same parents who complain about the school not teaching the kid to be a decent human being, will also insist that the school push religion. Passing on your religious beliefs onto your kids, should be YOUR JOB, not the schools!

Dave
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:

"it starts and ends with the parents lap".

True, but only to a point. What with shift work and overtime just to keep things going, sometimes schools see the child on a regular basis more than the family does. I was lucky. I work from home and once we had children my wife stayed home. There are a lot of people for whom this is not an option.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Having grown up in a village - pop about 1500 in summer, 1200 in winter when the summer folks went back to town, you watched your behaviour because you knew if you screwed up it would get back to your parents damn fast. So yeah, in some ways it does take a village. Around here I don't even know who the kids I see belong to.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Both my parents worked, then they divorced when I was about 10. Still new that I would get my ass handed to me if I stepped out of line.

You guys do know that when I say village I mean the gooberment.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Area Man

Yeah, I know.

But you do realize the saying "It takes a village to raise a child." has it's origins in African culture and it does literally mean the village in which a child is raised also bears some reponsibility raising the children, right? It doesn't make it any easier for parents to raise a kid properly if "the village" is full of scumbags constantly trying to undo the parents good work. That's not to absolve the parents of any responsibility, it's just a way of saying the kids also need a clean, crime free environment to live and play in outside the home as well as inside.

Ever been to Africa, Dave?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.