Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Area Man

Yes, to be fair you do make a few good points there, Chas.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
My post was just to explain how it looks to the Southerners. I'm not in the justification business. I really don't give a shit who's more 'justified.' But if you want to know why the South just couldn't stand the North's 'noble crusade' narrative, that's it.
It's all kind of a crock of shit, isn't it?

Everybody already has 20 bucks on the home team, and all they want to hear it that they have just won.

The nuances of the game are beside the point...unless you're a crank.

And nobody likes a crank, because he doesn't really agree with anyone.

Chas
Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Admin

Here's some guys y'all might remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlXmYVE_X8
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yes, to be fair you do make a few good points there, Chas.
Thank you.

You know, this has been over for 150 years. Perhaps it's time to wash the slate and honor those who gave their lives for what they thought was right. Not to mention those who had their lives taken because they had no choice.

Perhaps if we were to give equal thought as to why this happened, we may eliminate our brethren from winding up with their guts splattered half way across the county.

It's a nice thought at least.

Chas
Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you.

You know, this has been over for 150 years. Perhaps it's time to wash the slate and honor those who gave their lives for what they thought was right. Not to mention those who had their lives taken because they had no choice.

Perhaps if we were to give equal thought as to why this happened, we may eliminate our brethren from winding up with their guts splattered half way across the county.

It's a nice thought at least.

Chas
Hear hear. Anyone who says 'bring it on' should be thrown down a well.

Well, maybe stifled in a less violent way. But you get the point.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 AM

This is just a conversation,not to get the passions up.the split and war that is part of Americas Past was a very tragic and some of the wounds my never heal.But as clear thinking Rational Men we try to See from the past to Make the present and the future More livable.War is never good,no matter what the reason.It always involves the loss of life.And in the case of the Civil War,Families were split and families took the Lives of their owm kinfolk.A very Brutal and hard War in our Memories.I just say to all Remember Our past and be Better for it no matter what that past may be.Let the Dead Have Closure to the War.And Not re-live History ,but Study and Learn from It.

Most Here Are stubborn and real knot heads,but at the end of the day we Are Men
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The slaves were the economic foundation of the South, along with a few Northern states.

Not only was it legal at the time, that's the way is WAS at the time.

This is an never ending argument. So let's try to look at this from a wealthy slaveowner's viewpoint...who BTW owned the legislature much as the industrialists from the North did.

Another quick point I would like to make...who treated their people better? The slaveowner who could easily invest 1K in a single slave, or the factory owners from the North, who had nothing tied up in the Mick, Eyetie, or Chinaman he was working to death?

Back to my query. If you had invested thousands in slaves, which was legal at the time, and were being skinned alive by tariffs which not only punished you on the goods you bought, but on the goods you sold. Not to mention the Radical Republicans were working on removing your primary investment in machinery (slaves), wouldn't you be a little miffed too?

Face it, things were tough back then. And there were no Knights in Shining Armor.

Besides that, slavery isn't dead, it's evolved.

Am I making any sense?

Chas
this is basically the old myth that African Americans were better off with Ole Massa back on the Plantation.

there are three trends in American History from the date of 1620 onward

1. Slavery and and the Civil War, Reconstruction and the journey from Jim Crow to Civil Rights.
2. Westward expansion.
3. The rise of American as a great power in relationship to the rest of the world in the 20th century.

you have to remember that many slaves were separated from their families when they were sold. Many were killed by their owners, who were never prosecuted for murder. Many female slaves were raped by their owners, too.
And any relationship between a female slave and a white owner could not have been 100% consensual.

so when I hear comments that blacks after the Civil War were not ready for free citizenship it makes me sort of sick.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/05i...ender/rape.htm
Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Good read!! thanks!!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM

I think we tend to view history in the abstract....
put yourself in the actual shoes of a slave and look at the slavery from that viewpoint.

I had this famous professor once who liked to say that you have realize that history happens to REAL people...

John Gaddis
he is at Yale now