Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
we'll conclude that style matters not, .
no we won't, you will
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Well, since we're letting the expletives fly, here's my $0.02:

I have no qualms with anyone making as much as they possibly can - pay, benefits, retirement, whatever - within the limits of what the market will bear. Wisconsin has been dealing with public sector unionization long enough to recognize the problem: the unions and the politicians have gotten in bed with each other, and the taxpayers are paying the ever increasing bill. The equation - capitulating to wage, benefit and pension demands = campaign contributions - has left most states and the Fed Gov't in a situation where wages and benefits for public sector employees have risen significantly above private sector wages and benefits for jobs with similar skills and qualifications.

I agree with you and the governor of WI on this one.

federal and state employees are not the same as auto workers and truckers for example
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
We'll see. Of course, if the unions prevail in WI, MI, OH and elsewhere, we'll conclude that style matters not, and the wishes of the voters matter not.
Au contraire, mon ami. If the Gov loses in WI, it may ultimately be because of style. Contrast his style to that of the NJ Gov Christie. Christie seems to be a cheerful warrior (a la Reagan), whereas the WI Gov seems petulant.

As for the wishes of the voters, my guess is that voters prefer a non-confrontational, mature approach to such matters. This is not what's happening in WI. Asking the teachers to pay part of their health insurance and retirement premiums is perfectly reasonable. The manner in which he did it is not (IMHO, of course). In politics, style often trumps substance (for better or worse).
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Walker's opponent ran a weak campaign last year. We walked straight into the lion's mouth. He is an embarrassment to the state, much like Senator Joseph McCarthy was.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
I guess it's the norm for Pussy Dem's.
Quote:
What a bunch of Pussys! Dem's are such cowards...as we all know.
Quote:
How about you and me meeting up and working this out?
You make a compelling argument. Very well thought out and logical.

But, really, is this any different than the Republicans in Washington using the Filibuster a record number of times to defeat legislation supported by the majority party? I guess it is different in one way- there are tens of thousands of citizens demanding this be stopped outside their window, rather than a few lobbyists in a hotel suite.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 02-18-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
You make a compelling argument. Very well thought out and logical.
Subtlety has always been one of his strong points.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Now if y'all want to swallow the GOP lies hook line and sinker, go right ahead as it is interesting to watch considering that I always believed screwing oneself was a physical impossibility.
Wonder if the Republicans will change their campaign slogan from "you're taxes are too high" to "you're getting paid too much"?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
But, really, is this any different than the Republicans in Washington using the Filibuster a record number of times to defeat legislation supported by the majority party?
It sure as hell is. The Republicans actually had to report to work to Fillibuster. They didn't hold up in resort and pout.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
It sure as hell is. The Republicans actually had to report to work to Fillibuster. They didn't hold up in resort and pout.
Neither are these guys. The "resort" guy was on a radio show I listen to this morning. He ain't in a resort. I know this is hard to believe, but the Republicans have been a little misleading in an effort to make their opponents (who, apparently, are working men and women) look bad.

It would be kind of like saying these Republicans are just trying to break Unions and are using a financial crisis, that they intentionally exacerbated, as an excuse to do so… wait. No, it wouldn’t be like that at all. That’s exactly what they’re doing.

It’s just kind of amazing to me. “The People” elected a President who said he would reform health care. When he actually did, and the Republicans opposed him, they were doing a great job. But when the people oppose a Draconian measure, forwarded under false and misleading pretense, with tens of thousands marching in the street in their support, they’re somehow subverting the will of the people.

I should add- I have no love for the Teacher's Union. But this isn't the way to deal with it.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

Speaking as a former teacher the way to solve the problem is to get all the soi-dissent experts out of the f**king way and let teachers teach, and that include you too Arne.