Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My dad was also not racist that I could tell. He didn't swear either.

Pete
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

My dad said damn every now and then, but his favorite expletive was the old "for the love of Mike" lol....
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

My Dad was born in Nottingham, England. His Mom died when he was nine, so the two oldest stayed with Grandad and the rest were farmed out to relatives. Dad went to live with Grandma's younger sister and her husband. He ended up in the mills at twelve and became a glassworker in his teens. He emigrated to Canada in 1906, I have the ship's manifest. Lost his right leg below the knee in an industrial accident sometime before the start of WW I, married Mom in 1918. Don't ever recall hearing him swear, not profanities anyway. My life? The most outstanding thing I recall is that I never doubted my parent's love at any time in my life. Glad I made a point of telling both Mom and Dad that I loved them before it was too late.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
My dad grew up in Revere, Massachusetts and moved to Ohio when the assembly plant in Mass moved. He was a member of the UAW and a devout Southern Baptist. I never heard him say one racist thing my whole life. I never really thanked him for that and I should have.
You know, come to think of it, I never once heard a racist or homophobic word come from my Dad. He would curse on occasion, but he had to be very, very angry. I recall a guy from the UAW calling him once to tell him they were going on strike......He had just returned to work after being laid off for a month..."ARE YOU PEOPLE OUT OF YOUR GOD***N MINDS?!?!?"

(Make no mistakes. Pop supported the UAW. When we buried him, he was wearing his UAW retirement watch.)

Mom on the other hand, taught me every ethnic and homophobic slur I know.
I once told her; "Looks like you need to read the Bible again." She scowled at me and said, "Shut up before I slap the shit out of you."

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-10-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM

It is amazing what you realize about your parents once they are gone Dave...my dad was not ultra-liberal but I think he was from a New England family that was staunchly Democratic. He himself voted for Nixon but also voted for Carter. We had green and white bumper sticker on our Maverick in 1976...GRITZ,FRITZ AND METZ....Carter, Mondale and Metzenbaum.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Hmmmm.... Speaker sez 9th (yesterday), Leader sez 11th (tomorrow). We'll see.

John