Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
One thing about a destructor like Sherman - the war was OVER. Perhaps that's better than dragging it out for years and years like we tend to try to do now.

I kinda agree sometimes, but then I'd really, really prefer Churchill to Hitler.

After seeing the way the left constantly insults the south I'm shocked they get ANY votes at all down there.

Pete

It is what it is, Pete. Maybe you think southern attitudes have done an about face since Brown V Bd of Ed. I would contend they haven't changed much at all. However...the fact that people my age are starting to croak and younger folks, who aren't buying what's been pitched at them by mom, pop, and the grands, and who will be attaining voting age at a rapidly increasing rate...I might even see a significant shift in my lifetime.

Resembles the voting results map from the last election, eh?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I am just reacting to personal experience which sort of surprise me. They have this special thing for Sherman and plenty of oral history behind it.

And of course some will try ardently to make the point that their ancestors did not own any slave.
Well...I got some personal experience of my own. Big parties at the in-laws in North Fulton, with all their local friends from the stable where they kept their Morgan. Get a few drinks in the crowd, they forget there may be a Yankee or two or even worse, a liberal or two in their midst, and all sorts of interesting (and often nauseating) stuff comes rolling out.

I thought the best was the persistent denial that the old Charleston City Market was... "NEVER A SLAVE MARKET!!!!!"

Last edited by Ike Bana; 09-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Hah! If segregation was 'forbidden' up north here why all the court ordered busing?

To paraphrase Julius Lester from memory, "The smiling mask slipped off the northern face, and there was a cracker'.

Pete
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Btw, as I feel I've been too harsh lately, I should add, I mean that in the nicest possible way

Pete
Old 09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Banned

Oh pshaw...
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL!

Pete
Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
It is what it is, Pete. Maybe you think southern attitudes have done an about face since Brown V Bd of Ed. I would contend they haven't changed much at all. However...the fact that people my age are starting to croak and younger folks, who aren't buying what's been pitched at them by mom, pop, and the grands, and who will be attaining voting age at a rapidly increasing rate...I might even see a significant shift in my lifetime.

Resembles the voting results map from the last election, eh?
Nope, not at all......with the older crowd. In fact one detects a seething resentment bubbling under the surface with a very thin veneer of resignation among some of them. The younger crowd, not so much. But, then, being childless I am not exposed to them very often.

Dave
Old 09-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Hah! If segregation was 'forbidden' up north here why all the court ordered busing?

To paraphrase Julius Lester from memory, "The smiling mask slipped off the northern face, and there was a cracker'.

Pete
You're absolutely right. The worst bigots I've ever met were ones I grew up with in rural Ohio. They even had me infected with their poisonous bile, until I left and explored the "outside" world.

Today, nearly every single one of them considers him/herself a "Great American".

Make of that what you will. It's the damned truth.

Dave
Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I believe it exists Dave. I've heard the kkk is still active in rural Ohio. Orange Julius was talking about city folk though.

Pete