Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
By "real economy", I'm assuming you mean investing directly in starting a business and hiring people as opposed to simply buying stock and expecting a return? Is that correct?

If so then I agree. Tax cuts for the ultra-rich and corporations who weasel out of paying anyways, are a waste of time and money. It must be invested in the middle class, the people who do the bulk of buying things and building businesses.

Dave
We chose to invest our money in equity instruments and not only did we expect a return, we have had a quite nice return. I'm long past running my ass into the ground building a business.

So I hope this doesn't mean that anybody is assuming that we are in any way ultra-rich or that we are weaseling out of paying whatever taxes we are exposed to. Which is the expectation with most equity investors in this country.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Let's see here. If everyone were to just stick their money into the bank and not buy anything with it, how long do you think it would take for the economy to collapse?

That is essentially what is happening. The little guys are only spending what is necessary and saving (or trying to save) whatever they have left over. The big guys are spending, but only on necessities and luxuries, nothing that supports the mass economy, and it is a tiny fraction of their wealth.

I guess you can't fathom the concept that if 10 people start out with 10 bucks, and 1 person has all the water, those 10 people will go broke and die and the one person will have all the water still. It won't really do him any good, as he now has nobody left to sell water to, but he will be fine.

How did he get all the water? When his great, great, great, great grandfather settled this country, his family homesteaded all the property that had standing water on it, then since he was the only one with water, he became rich by selling it. Only he was smart and employed people to make irrigation systems, purify it, bottle it, etc., so that they could afford to buy the water. When he was rich and powerful enough, he patented all these ideas that others had designed and made even more money. He wasn't considered a monopoly, because there were still people out there that had devised ways of pumping water out of the ground, but he was keeping them broke by constantly bombarding them with infringement lawsuits. Even though they were bogus, it kept them spending money on litigation, and put all but the very strong ones out of business. Most of the others he bought out, but left a few, just so he could get past the monopoly laws.

Now, the lazy great, great, great, great grandson doesn't want to work anymore, and doesn't want to keep all the residual infrastructure up because it interferes with his leisure, so he just sits on his ass and counts his money. Meanwhile, people are dying because they don't have any water. That isn't his problem. He didn't take all their water, it wasn't theirs to begin with. Why should he care? God only knows what he is going to do with all that money and water. Nobody left to make things for him to buy.
And, THERE it is!!! Bravo, Old Boy!!!!

And, when those dying of thirst finally get tired of waiting for his better nature to shine through.....................

I'm just sayin'.

Dave
Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
We chose to invest our money in equity instruments and not only did we expect a return, we have had a quite nice return. I'm long past running my ass into the ground building a business.

So I hope this doesn't mean that anybody is assuming that we are in any way ultra-rich or that we are weaseling out of paying whatever taxes we are exposed to. Which is the expectation with most equity investors in this country.
I have investments too, Ike. But, I'm one hell of a long way from rubbing elbows with Ann and Mitt. And, I suspect you are too.

Dave
Old 04-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Area Man

See, that is the Achilles heel of "trickle Down" economics. In theory, it looks great. You allow people to accrue as much wealth as they can, they create businesses, expand them, hire workers, pay fair wages and voila! Prosperity for all!!! Yippee!!!!

Sounds great, right?

Except.....

What do you do when they start refusing to follow through? They make their money, then decide they don't need us anymore. They either refuse to create any jobs here, or they do, but not unless they alone get to decide what fair wage is......and their idea of a fair wage does nothing to enable workers to become viable consumers. And, they start using their position to demand deregulation that further reduces the rewards of work; for example the minimum wage, union membership, overtime, etc., etc., etc.........and whatever else.

Then start insisting on cuts to unemployment and the social safety net so that disenfranchised workers become more desperate, more quickly and therefore become willing to return to work for less?

Ummm...Let me know when any of this starts to sound familiar.

Dave
Old 04-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
See, that is the Achilles heel of "trickle Down" economics. In theory, it looks great. You allow people to accrue as much wealth as they can, they create businesses, expand them, hire workers, pay fair wages and voila! Prosperity for all!!! Yippee!!!!

Sounds great, right?

Except.....

What do you do when they start refusing to follow through? They make their money, then decide they don't need us anymore. They either refuse to create any jobs here, or they do, but not unless they alone get to decide what fair wage is......and their idea of a fair wage does nothing to enable workers to become viable consumers. And, they start using their position to demand deregulation that further reduces the rewards of work; for example the minimum wage, union membership, overtime, etc., etc., etc.........and whatever else.

Then start insisting on cuts to unemployment and the social safety net so that disenfranchised workers become more desperate, more quickly and therefore become willing to return to work for less?

Ummm...Let me know when any of this starts to sound familiar.

Dave
trickle down economics = piss on economics
Old 04-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
trickle down economics = piss on economics
Ahhhh, yes. That warm and gentle yellow rain drifting down the currents of air flowing through the canyons of steel and glass ain't manna from heaven, you can bet your sweet bippy on that.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:49 PM

Tinkle down economics, actually.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post

Old 04-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I've got mine, piss on you!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Ahhhh, yes. That warm and gentle yellow rain drifting down the currents of air flowing through the canyons of steel and glass ain't manna from heaven, you can bet your sweet bippy on that.
Bob are you a Union shop yet? Did you incorporate yet so lawsuits don't wipe you out?