in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Neil Young---Harvest

Dave
Nice one, Dave.

Listening to Heavy Horses by Tull and waiting for some clear finish to dry on some oak trim that I cooked up. Nobody makes this width or color oak flooring anymore. Time for a new tablesaw, the Bosch went belly up ripping an oak 1X3. I need to spring for a decent cabinet saw.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Harvest is great
don't get me wrong
but the different styles and bands sort of clash

Harvest Moon....I think better lol
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Nice one, Dave.

Listening to Heavy Horses by Tull and waiting for some clear finish to dry on some oak trim that I cooked up. Nobody makes this width or color oak flooring anymore. Time for a new tablesaw, the Bosch went belly up ripping an oak 1X3. I need to spring for a decent cabinet saw.
My Delta tablesaw has been going strong since 1996. What I need is a better bandsaw, and a small, but good, lathe. I'd like to start creating my own wooden tonearms. But, round and elegant, not flat and chunky looking like so many of them are.

Dave
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Went out with some friends to hear live jazz tonight. Not any big name, but good solid trio of professional musicians - piano, guitar and drums. They did jazz, blues and a little bit of swing. I really liked the tone the guitarist was getting, and I thought it must be some kind of filter. It looked like an acoustic guitar with a pickup Turned out it was a 1960 model Gibson ES-125 running straight into a solid state amp. It was a nice mellow tone.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Went out with some friends to hear live jazz tonight. Not any big name, but good solid trio of professional musicians - piano, guitar and drums. They did jazz, blues and a little bit of swing. I really liked the tone the guitarist was getting, and I thought it must be some kind of filter. It looked like an acoustic guitar with a pickup Turned out it was a 1960 model Gibson ES-125 running straight into a solid state amp. It was a nice mellow tone.

Regards,

D-Ray
Solid state? Sacriledge, I tell you! Tsk, tsk... Sounds like a good time, Don.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
It would have been even better with tubes.

Recently, I went to a small cafe in Va. Beach called "The Daily Grind" that had live music after Had a nice pastrami sandwich and some pretty good Costa Rican coffee and hung around to watch the group set up.

It was just a young man with an acoustic guitar and his wife doing vocals.
When I saw him plug the mikes into a small four channel mixing board and that into a nice looking, but apparently homemade tube amp and that's it. Very minimalist. I knew I had to stay. The performance was good, but nothing to really get excited about. The sound, however was very impressive. Plenty loud enough, but very smooth with gorgeous vocal quality.
I asked the young man where he got it and he said he was an electronics engineering student and he had designed and built it himself. He also mentioned having upgraded parts quality in the mixing board. The monitors were a pair of ~midsize modern Pro-Klipsch up on tripods.

"My Dad was into tubes and it stuck with me. She's a Push-Pull, EL34 power, with about 30-35 watts a side in stereo. Amazing the room filling sound you get from such little power, Huh?"

There is hope for the future after all.

Dave
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Solid state? Sacriledge
Solid State!

I recently sold my venerated vintage tube amp KT66 and have learnt to live with vintage SS.

I kept the EL84 amp. This needs some work.

But SS with guitar?

Last edited by Dondilion; 04-21-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Sometimes I believe that a good SS rig with good speakers can sound really great.
What is all this hype about tubes anyway lol
not that I am going to get rid of the maggotbox and Jolida anytime soon

Demolition
Ryan Adams
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Area Man

Yeah, it can.............if you spend about $15,000 it can get close to the smoothness and liquidity of a sixty year old tube amp.

Maroon 5-----Songs About Jane

Dave
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Solid State!

I recently sold my venerated vintage tube amp KT66 and have learnt to live with vintage SS.

I kept the EL84 amp. This needs some work.

But SS with guitar?
Oh, do tell. What sort of amps would those be, brand and model-wise?

Dave