Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 AM

You wouldn't dare screw with the Prez's program now would ya Tim?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Not at all. the President says that the engines and transmissions have to be crushed, and that the vehicle can't be ever registered. Says nothing about the tires, exhaust, interior doo-dads.....

Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Drove past a dealership today, they had a big dumpster with a "Cash for Clunkers" banner on it, and a couple of beaters sticking out of it.

Have to admit, it did catch one's eye.

Chas
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Just went back and saw about half a dozen vehicles that came in so far. Really nice Chevy Blazers, Caravans, a Grand Cherokee limited, an Infinity, and a van like Grumpy's. Turns my friggin stomach with all this waste.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Why they dont torch the motors out and send the rest of the cars/trucks to a bone yard to help save another is beyond me.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Resident octogenarian

Probably because what they would be saving is another gas guzzler, except that guzzler might just belong to someone who can't afford to trade in just now, $4500 or no. Of course you could not expect anyone in D.C. to be that logical.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Let's see, the Goobermitt ponyed up 1 billion...at $4,500 per clunker, that will destroy 222,222 automobiles that could have been salvaged or bought by the poor. In other words, they just took a billion dollars of valuable merchandise and turned it into scrap iron.

I don't like social engineering on a good day, but about this does is reward the multinational auto companies, punish the poor, and piss away another big pile of taxpayer funds.

And if you figure how much energy it takes to build a new clunker, as compared to how much extra energy the old one's would have consumed had they been allowed to finish their natural lifespan, I don't see enough difference as to affect the environment in the least. I assume that is the whole point of this exercise, or at least the excuse.

Wonder how many free clinics our masters could have funded for a year with the money?

Chas
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM

How sweet. Try to convince everyone to buy a new car and give up their present cars that are paid for just to save a few miles per gallon. Does a few miles per gallon save you enough money to make a new car payment, plus carry the higher price full coverage insurance that goes along with a new car ... and still make house payments? LOL, naw, the government don't stop and think for a second that if a family is barely able to keep their house payments paid while driving a used car thats paid for, then how they going to do so with a big ole new car payment? Sure they may offer 4500.00 for that old clunker to sugar-coat a screwdeal, but when those payments roll in, alot of folks may end up having to choose between living in that new car ... or living in a warm house.Smells like dust in more empty houses to come... or re-po'd new cars that'll have no owners.

I love my old clunkers very much. They are the very reason our farm payment is always made. A new car or truck payment would stand in the way of paying our 'most important monthly payment', wich is our home.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Did anyone ever do the math of how much pollution it takes to produce a new car versus keeping an older one on the road. Curious about this..

Never mind how many miles per gallon it takes to offset the cost of purchasing a new car versus keeping an older one.

This entire program is the most idiotic one yet. Costs us a billion to sell new cars and not even mandate they be environmentally friendly or American. Just plain asinine !

Since I neither have credit nor want it I am curious if banks are finally loaning money again to people who cannot afford to buy groceries or pay their light bills much less pay 400.00 plus a month plus new car insurance premiums. Yes sir may I help dig the hole further.....
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Both of ours are 8 years old, less than 50,000 miles on either and they get close to 30 MPG on the highway, guess we don't qualify.