Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 AM

That was filmed in & around Asheville, NC, IIRC. As was the last Peter Sellers flick, "Being There". It was primarily filmed at Biltmore House in Asheville. If you're ever in Asheville, plan on staying an extra day & taking in the Biltmore House. Trust me, its worth it. We are not ENTIRELY about inbreeding, moonshine, souped-up cars, & being stupid down here, altho sometimes I wonder..."Thunder Road" was loosely based on the exploits of moonshiners who lived in & around Newport & Cosby, Tennessee- some of it was filmed there, too, but Asheville had better facilities back in those days, & the scenery is pretty much the same. They were pretty mean around Newport- There was one Beer Hall right as you turned to go to Gatlinburg & the Great Smoky Mountains national park-the Blinky Moon, that AVERAGED a murder a month. It got burned down when I was a little kid, but the walls & the sign were still standing for several years after that. It was the kinda joint where they'd check you at the door for a gun or a knife, if you didn't have one, they'd give you one...
Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Resident octogenarian

Hey, I was born in Quebec, I have nowt against moonshiners. We used to brew some pretty potent 'jack back there. Then there was the happy pastime of setting out a bucket of 'jack in mid-winter and bottling what did not freeze.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Blinky Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
That was filmed in & around Asheville, NC, IIRC. As was the last Peter Sellers flick, "Being There". It was primarily filmed at Biltmore House in Asheville. If you're ever in Asheville, plan on staying an extra day & taking in the Biltmore House. Trust me, its worth it. We are not ENTIRELY about inbreeding, moonshine, souped-up cars, & being stupid down here, altho sometimes I wonder..."Thunder Road" was loosely based on the exploits of moonshiners who lived in & around Newport & Cosby, Tennessee- some of it was filmed there, too, but Asheville had better facilities back in those days, & the scenery is pretty much the same. They were pretty mean around Newport- There was one Beer Hall right as you turned to go to Gatlinburg & the Great Smoky Mountains national park-the Blinky Moon, that AVERAGED a murder a month. It got burned down when I was a little kid, but the walls & the sign were still standing for several years after that. It was the kinda joint where they'd check you at the door for a gun or a knife, if you didn't have one, they'd give you one...
Now at one time I considered myself to be a connoisseur of some of the finer drinking establishments (AKA beer joints) here in the Ozarks. The "Show Me Inn", Budweiser Inn", "Night after Night...Nitie Night", "Peckerwood Lounge", "Sugar Shack", "County Line and Gunny's Shack...both in Texas", among others.

It was entertaining, but I prefer to sit home now.

BTW Sandy, when I was young, I couldn't stand to go through a corner without leaving four black marks for at least 100 yds...and I never spilt my beer,
Chas
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Oh, that ain't the half of it...There's a Beer Hall in New Tazewell, officially called The Sportsman's Club-But known to the locals as the CRS Club- The Cut, Rape & Stab Club...A REAL Classy joint, no doubt...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM

The Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Oh, that ain't the half of it...There's a Beer Hall in New Tazewell, officially called The Sportsman's Club-But known to the locals as the CRS Club- The Cut, Rape & Stab Club...A REAL Classy joint, no doubt...
Damn Sandy, I need to take you up on your offer to come visit you...we could compare notes. Suppose I need to bring my own 9mm cartridges...gettin' kinda rare.

Don't follow things as well as I should...but I understand the sawbones did some work on you. Did everything go well...I hope so.

You take care of yourself, and if you're stuck in Missouri, stop by...an' take your shoes off,

Chas