Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Overall, I can't call the American Revolution a flop when, in general, I'm pretty pleased with what goes on, here.
True enough, but statistics (at least those cited by the author) seem to indicate that those living in Canada are even more pleased to be there than we are to be here. That was the point of the article, after all.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
True enough, but statistics (at least those cited by the author) seem to indicate that those living in Canada are even more pleased to be there than we are to be here. That was the point of the article, after all.
There does seem to be a lot of unhappiness in the USA, these days. And, it has been growing for a long time. Me? I still love this place. I realized just how much last night when I started getting emotional during "America The Beautiful". Damn song always brings tears to my eyes. And the Army Band did such a great job of playing it.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-05-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
There does seem to be a lot of unhappiness in the USA, these days. And, it has been growing for a long time. Me? I still love this place. I realized just how much last night when I started getting emotional during "America The Beautiful". Damn song always brings tears to my eyes. And the Army Band did such a great job of playing it.

Dave
Sniff...I know how you feel.

I feel the same way whenever I here Merle sing "Okie From Muskogee".

Saw an interview of Merle once, and they asked about his signature piece. He basically said, "I play what they want to hear."

Chas
Old 07-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

SOmething Ice mentioned - home ownership, mortgages are available in Canada but you will never fins a Title company nor a Morgage Broker, at least they did not exist when I lived there. I simply found a house my ex liked, went to my bank and asked for a mortgage. A week later they called me and asked us to drop in. I told them what I had for a deposit and wrote a check for that, signed one piece of paper wrote another chack for $600 and I was a homeowner. Mortgages are 5/25 in other words the term is25 years but interest rates are set every 5 years.

My mortgage was up for its last 5 years wheninterest rates went crazy (the Volker years). I asked my bany if I could pay it off. I cashed in an insurance policy but so was half of the population and the company was swamped. Two weeks later the bank called and aske if I could at least give them part of the balance so I gave them what I could. The following week I got the insurance check and paid it all off - try that with a bank here.

The last time I saw figures home ownership there as a percentage of population was marginally higher than here.

Lifestyle is more laid back in fact when I first moved to Ottawa cars were sporting stickers that said "Courtesy is contagious- try it" and most drivers did. When I used to commute to NOVA and a driver beside me would indicate a wish to get in my lane they would be in shock for about 5 seconds when I waved them over.

After the divorce I told my ex she could live in the house as long as she wanted. She was so hopeless with taxes and such I paid the alimony with after tax dollars and never claimed her, even paid the property taxes because she woul have forgotten.

After I met Florence and we wanted to marry I had to figure out how to support two homes. Early retirement took care of my ex and the job offer came from NoVA when they herd I was available so that is why I am here. If the housing market ever improves we will likely head north east to the Maritimes. Ottawa has no fond memories after the marriage self-destructed there.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM
Resident octogenarian

BTW CAnada has written their Bill of Rights that a lot of other countries are using as a model.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
BTW CAnada has written their Bill of Rights that a lot of other countries are using as a model.
I posted about this last year. Our constitution was the model for developing countries seeking democracy until a few decades back. It's flaws were recognized worldwide and these countries began to use the Canadian Charter on Rights and Freedoms, among others (South Africa). Ruth Bader Ginsburg pointed this out in an interview a couple of years ago and the wingnuts went crazy (or crazier).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/us...the-world.html

Last edited by finnbow; 07-06-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Jigsawed

Just not a fair comparison....just not on the same scale. One is a huge more complex nation with an easily identified slave heritage.

A fair comparison.....Brazil.

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-06-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Just not a fair comparison....just not on the same scale. One is a huge more complex nation with an easily identified slave heritage.

A fair comparison.....Brazil.
Not really,the author's premise was the comparison of three former British colonies and the difference between achieving independence via revolution or by legislation.

You cam't deny that the history of violence lingers today.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Not really,the author's premise was the comparison of three former British colonies and the difference between achieving independence via revolution or by legislation.

But consider India and Pakistan to name some former colonies. Both countries made up by European decree not taking into account the local politics.

Barney
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:

Whether by revolution or legislation the effects of a huge slave population makes America a more difficult and complex society.