Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yeah, I do all my own maintenance on the truck. Oil change every 3,000 miles, etc., etc.......
I used to do some work on them back when I was young and broke and could only afford to buy beaters to drive. But now I prefer to pay to have it done. Plus the newer vehicles have got no room under the hood to work on stuff and you have to be a rocket scientist plus have thousands of dollars of special tools to work on them.

My son's buddy was just bitching about how he was trying to do a simple job on his boat motor, but one of the screws he had to undo was situated in such a way that there was no way to get to it unless you had this special tool that costs $150. I know they design shit like that on purpose.

Up until fairly recently I was still doing my own oil changes, but when I got my Accord I quit that too. It's so low I can't get under it without jacking it up and I do not go under jacked up cars. I don't care how many heavy duty jack stands they have holding them up.

Back when I was 17 I had a 56 Oldsmobile almost fall on me. I was working under it and I saw my bumper jack (yeah, I know, no jack stands, Darwin award material) start to slip and I rolled out from under it just in time. But it scared the shit out of me and I have a phobia about getting under vehicles ever since.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Have not been under a car for years and don't plan on doing it ever again.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Plus the newer vehicles have got no room under the hood to work on stuff and you have to be a rocket scientist.
I hate that!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I used to do some work on them back when I was young and broke and could only afford to buy beaters to drive. But now I prefer to pay to have it done. Plus the newer vehicles have got no room under the hood to work on stuff and you have to be a rocket scientist plus have thousands of dollars of special tools to work on them.

My son's buddy was just bitching about how he was trying to do a simple job on his boat motor, but one of the screws he had to undo was situated in such a way that there was no way to get to it unless you had this special tool that costs $150. I know they design shit like that on purpose.

Up until fairly recently I was still doing my own oil changes, but when I got my Accord I quit that too. It's so low I can't get under it without jacking it up and I do not go under jacked up cars. I don't care how many heavy duty jack stands they have holding them up.

Back when I was 17 I had a 56 Oldsmobile almost fall on me. I was working under it and I saw my bumper jack (yeah, I know, no jack stands, Darwin award material) start to slip and I rolled out from under it just in time. But it scared the shit out of me and I have a phobia about getting under vehicles ever since.
I have owned the Challenger for going on six years, now. Every last bit of the maintenance is done at the Dodge dealership, oil changes....everything. I don't even wash it myself. I take it to a detailer over in Virginia Beach.

But, it's not because I can't.

Dave
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yeah, I do all my own maintenance on the truck. Oil change every 3,000 miles, etc., etc....... So far the most major work I've done is the heater core and the timing chain. A friend of mine who owns a repair garage wanted $800 to do the heater core. Did it myself for.........$40. Sometimes it's awesome, being a wrench monkey aint it, Dave?

It also recently had misfire issues on #2 and #5. Luckily all it turned out to be was a loose rotor cap. Total bill for that; $0.

She looks kind of rough, rust on the roof, a few dents and scratches, headliner drooping...........But she runs strong as a team of Clydesdales.

But, it does go through ball joints. I think I've done the whole set three times. I've gotten good at it, it only takes me about 15 minutes per.

Dave
Last year a lady brought me a 3/4 Ton Dodge Van that needed ball joints. The lowers were easy.. simple press fit to control arms. But the uppers were threaded in the control arms and rusty. Had to order a 3/4'' drive 2-9/64'' special ball joint socket. They were so darn hard to get out I had to actually dig a 2 foot deep hole with post hole diggers, stood a piece of 4x4 up in it and used it to place my feet against because I had been digging up the ground with my boots and slipping trying to pull the 4 foot cheater pipe with all I had in me. I got them out one tiny squeak & pop at a time. I hardly ever sweat.. but that time I was soaking wet.

Last edited by hillbilly; 04-01-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Tags
no union brotherhood