Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Area Man

Tin Foil hat? Not at all. Remember, many in my family worked in the automotive industry as I was growing up, both in management as well as hourly. I worked for 12 years at Federal-Mogul.

I'm not saying that auto executives just had a twisted determination to screw the city of Detroit, that's ridiculous. But, it's a fact that the industry had/has a hard-on for the UAW. Always has. I'm saying Detroit just happened to be where the U.S. auto industry was centered as the industry declined, the latter dragging down the former. Trust me, it's not just Detroit, many communities across the country have been adversely affected.

Some years ago, I'm thinking late 1980s-1990s my brother John, an engineer who at the time worked at General Motors/ Packard Electric Division, told me: "Something's wrong. Now, when we go into contract negotiations with the unions, upper management pretty much just gives them whatever they want. You don't do that unless you don't care anymore................"

I think he was onto something. In fact, it didn't take much at all to see that as they gave away the farm, they shipped more work out of the country. 'Sure, we can do that! Whatever you want, Bud!!'-------Because in a few years you won't be working for us anymore, anyways.

Timing is everything.

Get it?

Think outside of the box, Fellas. I'm thinking that's where the truth lies.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-16-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

If they were allowed to outsource they sure weren't giving the union whatever they wanted Dave :/

Areas have an economic life cycle regardless of how bad or good their leaders are, not saying the leaders have no control at all. Probably easier to screw things up worse though.

Pete
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Think outside of the box, Fellas. I'm thinking that's where the truth lies.

Dave
The truth is simple...American consumers had more choices.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Area Man

Pete, Pete, Pete..............

Why would they so easily agree to things as ridiculous as the "Jobs Bank", unless they knew it didn't matter? So long as a given plant exists they have to pay temporarily laid off workers 90% of their pay for up to two years? That sounds like something a sarcastic bastard would do just before he shuts the plant down........... Really.

Trust me, the industry has a venomous hatred for the UAW. One of my uncles had some sort of kiss ass middle management job at the Lordstown plant until he retired. Those guys despise the union.

It would be a revelation to you to realize that large corporations plan and execute long term strategies?

Dave
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The truth is simple...American consumers had more choices.
So what? That doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it. As Rob pointed out, assembly line people don't design cars.

Love,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-16-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I never said they loved each other....

Why do they make anything at all here then?

Pete
Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Beats me. Maybe because it keeps the bailout billions flowing?

Dave
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Besides, I thought the reason manufacturing jobs were leaving was because of the federal corporate tax? If that were true, then it would be nationwide and not just certain parts of the country, now wouldn't it?

I smell a grudge f**k. I'm thinking somebody got mad because the little people got too "uppity".

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-16-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
So what? That doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it. As Rob pointed out, assembly line people don't design cars.

Love,
Dave
Design of cars was just a part of the package, once the Japanese had access to the American market it became a new game.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Design of cars was just a part of the package, once the Japanese had access to the American market it became a new game.
Okay. Everyone is to blame but management. They are always the hapless victim of fate. Got it.

Dave

Tags
no union brotherhood