Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Wholy crap Tom we're close on something There is something raw about non 'puter cars that I really like, and I still haven't driven anything with the straight line ride of old body on frame RWD American cars.

Pete
I remember when everyone bitched about vacuum lines.

I've always wanted to put a vintage fuel injection system converted to EFI on my Vega. I just hate the idea of being held hostage by a computer chip.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The weight of the key chain overrode a defective detente spring in the switch and turned the car off at highway speed, thereby losing power-steering and brakes, not to mention the airbag after the accident occurred.
I never could understand the penchant for having everything but the kitchen sink on you key chain. Ours have the ignition key and the door opener.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The detente spring is the spring that holds the key's position in the desired place. GM (actually AC Delco) put too short a spring in the ignition switch and it thereby put too little force behind the plunger that goes into the little divots that keep the key in its chosen position.

These aren't newfangled ignition switches. They are the same basic design as has been used for a half a century.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...35171004763740
Then how come our Impalas don't have this problem if it is a common switch used throughout?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
And people were killed all the time in accidents. I agree all these computers on wheels really suck but you are so much safer today.

Tell me about it, in the 62 Falcon Futura I once owned I installed seat belt (they were optional). Well one winter the salt tuck guy must have taken time to light a smoke and the hopper went empty. I hit that ice patch spun into the snowbank rolled the car over and came to rest on the driver's side. It was like emerging from a submarine getting out the passenger's door. Afterward I could not sit upright in the car because the roof was pushed in. Didn't get a scratch.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Probably heavily government-subsidized, for prestige, employment, and trade/currency reasons. The export-to-Russia thing is because they really need foreign exchange with Russia right now. And the Russians want them to have it....

10,000 units into a 2.3 million-unit market isn't going to make the Russian automakers squawk too much.
If I am not mistaken, I was told they only pay about 5 cents a gallon for gas.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Ready

That's a very valuable gov benefit, if true....

So I checked. Bloomberg has Iran at $1.42/gal.

Venezula is where gas is as cheap as you're saying: $.04/gal. Saudi Arabia comes in second-lowest, at over 10 times that price.

the link: http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/gas-prices/
Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Ready

At .04/gal in Venezula, the government must be providing it totally free to the gas stations.

Of course, that means the government is deciding what stations get how much. I wonder if stations that are at $.04/gal and actually have gas on hand are perhaps a hit or miss thing to find.

And i wonder if there's a black-market price for 'all the gas you want, right here right now....'
Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Ready

This very critical opinion piece in Forbes suggests that if there are not gas shortages in Venezula now, there will be....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christop...to-collapse/3/
Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
This very critical opinion piece in Forbes suggests that if there are not gas shortages in Venezula now, there will be....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christop...to-collapse/3/
A pity!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
True that.

Actually,

I recently rode in a really nice '69 Camaro. Compared to todays vehicles it was noisy (full of various rattles/wind noise), uncomfortable and floats like a balloon at the higher speeds. Fast, strong acceleration, but watch those curves............

Dave
I remember Camaros being way too light in the ass end. You could peel rubber for a long ways, if you could keep it between the ditches.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 01-05-2015 at 12:04 PM.