Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Not quite.

There have been interviews with GM dealers and sales reps refusing to sell the Volt, because they are brainwashed by the GOP and the right wing media.
I wouldn't buy one, but I'd damn well sell you one.

Actually, I'd probably try to steer you towards something more practical first, unless I perceived you as an arrogant rube with more money than sense. Or you demonstrated that you knew precisely what you were getting into.

Chas
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Here is the deal, bring your *&^%$# riceburner around and I'll get my wife in her Impala LS to blow the doors off it. She did it to a Jaguar so I guess a toy OTA (whatever that is) would be a piece of cake.
Which Jag? Several models are just tarted up Fords.

John
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

It was the real deal, the full size sedan.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM

I get to drive a Volt for two days. Looking forward to getting my hybrid cherry popped. I have never been in a hybrid.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Well driving the Volt is interesting to say the least. When I worked at the research lab I helped build two electric cars, but that was back in the 1980s when the industry was still working on the power electronics. Creature comforts such as throttle feel were not even a consideration. For example I built the "throttles" on those old cars. The throttles were nothing more than crude pots strung to the accelerator pedals.

When I backed the Volt out of its parking space I was pleasantly surprised by the pedal feel. I was worried that I would have to tip into the throttle to back out and risk banging it up in tight quarters. No such thing happened. Instead I lifted my foot from the brake pedal and the software gently rolled the car backwards just as if it had a gasoline engine and an automatic trans. It felt natural which is all one can ask for.

Later tonight I took my family for a ride. This time I had to back the car up our driveway which is on an incline. That time I lifted my foot and the car sat still. I had to gently tip into the throttle so that the car would slowly back up the hill. Again it felt natural.

So far I have driven about 10 miles on battery power. The guage says I have 15 miles remaining which isn't bad considering my driving was at night with lights and heat on. Tomorrow morning I expect to burn more juice with the defroster and the battery will probably be dead by the time I get back to the office. After that I will drive it on engine power and see how it does.

This hybrid electrical stuff is pretty interesting. I've written a few patents on the technology over the past ten years but this is my first time behind the wheel. It is fun to experience the things I have been writing about.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Very cool!

Pete