Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM

People hated "that man in the White House" just like they hate Obama today....whether he is just a one term President or not, he is going down in history as one the most important Presidents of this century....just check back in 50 years or so...lol
Hoover failed because he was afraid to fully utilize the power of govenrnment when his nation needed it the most...Romney reminds me of someone afraid to do what it takes to get the job done. There is a really great book about Hoover called Hoover Forgotten Progressive

http://www.amazon.com/Herbert-Hoover.../dp/0881337056

ok today's history class is adjourned

Of course if one's idea of a great nation is Calvin Cooldige's America ...you know the one without Wall Street regulation and no safety net for anyone...feel free to vote for Ryan....oops I meant Romney.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I kinda got it From my reading the biggest difference between Hoover and FDR was, Hoover would not give money directly from the feds to the people, but to the respective States. Which fits when one considers what the founders were trying to set up. Who could foresee the radical changes society would make due to the industrial revolution?

Interestingly before he was hung with the Depression he was considered a great humanitarian and very good at bringing people together.

Heck even blaming the tacturn Coolidge is something of a stretch, as things really were different before the Depression....

Pete
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Right on Bob,
Everyone is forgetting that Romney wanted private investment firms to bail out the industry at a time when there was no private credit to be had (Romney knew this too...was Bain Capital asked to participate?). Obama used the Federal Government because it worked and he had no other choice. Sort of like the difference between FDR (Obama) and Hoover (Romney)

google alf landon whell...and thomas dewy and wendell wilkie while your at it
Indeed they were from what I read and they declined.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM

yeah....Coolidge did not really "know better" since he was living in a pre-Depression United States that had not embraced Keynesian economics (the idea of deficit spending to help stimulate an economy out of an economic slump or depression)...however I would not want to live in Coolidge's America as it were. I think the big thing about Hoover is that he failed to go all the way with massive intervention the way FDR did. Progressive yes but not enough for what was needed at the time, which was to fix a deflated economy with about 33 percent unemployment.
Even the New Deal did not end the Depression...World War II did with the massive re-industrialization of the economy brought about by the war effort did. FDR however was able to bring back some confidence in the economy and went way further than Hoover.

Last edited by icenine; 05-09-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

And therein lies our biggest differences. The New Deal didn't work, but it did create the biggest expansion of government power since probably the Civil War, and once taken good luck getting it back.

We did need serious revisions in the Constitution (and probably still do) but allowing fiat power instead of the amendment process to revise it shows our unfitness for self rule.

Because man, I had a X 1/9, and it was way underpowered

Pete
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM

When has big government hurt you? I can see if you were drafted and send to Vietnam how you might be angry...being a military man I can understand that. How has the Tennesee Valley Authority, Interstate Highway System, Medicare (and the medical establishment it underwrites) and Social Security hurt you? NASA hurt you? GI Bill bad?
School Loans bad? You know somebody paid taxes for you go to public (GOVERNMENT) school so someday you would be able to reply to internet posts lol. What do you want?
Some small government paradise where you get to keep all of your paycheck?

what is it you want? Pete I am just dying to hear what small government means....

Last edited by icenine; 05-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
What an absolute joke. Does anyone here think the American auto industry would be where it is today if the right had their way three years ago?

Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
I am so glad mittens wrote an oped in the NY Times that single handedly saved the auto industry.

The only problem with his plan was it relied on private sector money. You want to tell me who would have provided the capital for the structured bankruptcy. No one was loaning money, in the private sector, at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The difference is that the Obama team deserves some credit. Romney had nothing to do with it. He's full of shit, as usual. Stealing credit for other peoples work is, most likely, a skill he picked up in the corporate world. We've all seen that crap in our careers, many a time.
Hello!

Dave
Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
When has big government hurt you? I can see if you were drafted and send to Vietnam how you might be angry...being a military man I can understand that. How has the Tennesee Valley Authority, Interstate Highway System, Medicare (and the medical establishment it underwrites) and Social Security hurt you? NASA hurt you? GI Bill bad?
School Loans bad? You know somebody paid taxes for you go to public (GOVERNMENT) school so someday you would be able to reply to internet posts lol. What do you want?
Some small government paradise where you get to keep all of your paycheck?

what is it you want? Pete I am just dying to here what small government means....
It seems to me that conservatives (even ultra-right teabagger types) want all the services of a big government (Social Security, Medicare, National Defense, good roads...) They just don't want to pay for it.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Obama = FDR?

Pete
I wish. We wouldn't have to worry about the CEO of Waffle, Lie and Liquidate Inc. ending up in the Whitehouse.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It seems to me that conservatives (even ultra-right teabagger types) want all the services of a big government (Social Security, Medicare, National Defense, good roads...) They just don't want to pay for it.
Well, it's just like everything else, Pat. Rightwingers always fancy themselves to have "earned" whatever they've embezzled and the rest of the world is just a bunch of parasites, living on their dime. But, you're an observant guy. I'm sure you've noticed that.