Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Romney Takes Credit for the Auto Bailout

The same guy who wrote an Op-Ed piece in the NYTimes entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" was quoted yesterday as saying "I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy. And finally, when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back."

I suspect he'll now take credit for tomorrow's sunrise.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The same guy who wrote an Op-Ed piece in the NYTimes entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" was quoted yesterday as saying "I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy. And finally, when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back."

I suspect he'll now take credit for tomorrow's sunrise.
You really should read his op ed. In it he pushes for a managed bankruptcy: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post
You really should read his op ed. In it he pushes for a managed bankruptcy: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html
Indeed he did. What's funny about it is that Obama took his own course with his own advisers (none of whom were Romney) and was very successful. Romney subsequently criticized him on numerous occasions about his management of the restructuring of the auto industry, but now is trying to lay claim for the credit now that it has been shown to be successful (and that success is being highlighted in campaign ads).

It's remarkably similar to his response after videotape shows up of him saying that he wouldn't go after Bin Laden during a 2007 debate. Now, he's saying he would have done exactly what Obama did.

Let's see. He would have done the auto industry restructuring just like Obama. He would have attacked Bin Laden just like Obama, and his MA healthcare plan formed the blueprint for Obamacare. Just how is it that he's claiming that he's so much more capable than Obama and that Obama's administration has been a failure? Color me confused and amused.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

Its called politics Finn. Do you think he'd jump up and down and cheer for a future political opponent?

What I think is hilarious is that Obama flogs private equity firms and banks for political points, but had to turn to Steve Rattner, a product of those firms that he and the OWS crowd love to demonize, to manage the auto industry bankruptcy process. Then Obama wants to take full credit for it. Color me amused over that bit of hypocrisy.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Its called politics Finn. Do you think he'd jump up and down and cheer for a future political opponent?

What I think is hilarious is that Obama flogs private equity firms and banks for political points, but had to turn to Steve Rattner, a product of those firms that he and the OWS crowd love to demonize, to manage the auto industry bankruptcy process. Then Obama wants to take full credit for it. Color me amused over that bit of hypocrisy.
I call this post "changing the subject."
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Area Man

What an absolute joke. Does anyone here think the American auto industry would be where it is today if the right had their way three years ago?

Please.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I call this post "changing the subject."
I'll call it: "meeting alleged hypocrisy (Romney) with actual hypocrisy (Obama)."
Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Isn't this thread about Romney taking credit for it?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I'll call it: "meeting alleged hypocrisy (Romney) with actual hypocrisy (Obama)."
How about hopeless partisanship? (In the interest of legitimate discussion, I described the conduct rather than engaging in name-calling - like "partisan hack." )

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
How about hopeless partisanship? (In the interest of legitimate discussion, I described the conduct rather than engaging in name-calling - like "partisan hack." )

Regards,

D-Ray
It's the new dance. Spin-pivot-flip-flop-do see do.