Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
The funny thing everyone forgets is,

It needs electricity to run, and electricity is made with coal and oil.

Bill
I don't know about the rest of the country, but out here in the west, our electric grid would have to be rebuilt to even have any realistic talks about electric cars. Everyone plugging these things in during summer nights...get real.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
I don't know about the rest of the country, but out here in the west, our electric grid would have to be rebuilt to even have any realistic talks about electric cars. Everyone plugging these things in during summer nights...get real.
Well you will leave power generation in the greedy hands of private industry, so live with it.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Doesn't matter if my president supports it or not. It's still too expensive.

Get the bugs worked out, make it affordable, and I'll be interested. Until then, it makes no economic sense to me.

If I have a bone to pick with my president and his administration, it would be the fact that they have pissed away a pile of money on these pie in the sky ventures, while standing in the way of proven energy sources which are currently affordable.

The way I see it, my president is unnecessarily costing me money. And I take a very dim view of people who unnecessarily cost me money. I draw my conclusions not on ideology, but instead on economic reality.

The future will get here. Let's just not go broke trying to force the issue.

Chas
How many other $40K cars are you shopping for, Charles?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I was reading that the battery contains the approximate energy of one gallon of gas under actual operating conditions (hills, AC or heat on, etc).

Considering that you could probably buy an equal car for 12K less, including the rebate, and you're saving 1 gallon of gas per day @ $4 per, the payback on the difference of the 12K alone would take app 8.22 years.

Now if you take into consideration that the cheaper auto probably gets better mileage than the Volt once the battery is depleted, and the cost of recharging the battery isn't factored in, also repairs, not to mention that depreciation on the Volt will probably be horrible...I don't see how you could ever come out on owning one.

GM's gonna have to do better than that.

Chas
Pretty damn good job Chas, you's a smart mFer. The only thing I see wrong is that a comparable gas car is 20k cheaper.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Cept it's one of the finest driving cars I have ever driven. Truly a spectacular driving experience. Motor Trend magazine called it a "moon shot". This is easily the finest car ever engineered in America. The Toyota Prius is a hack job by comparison. And the Prius also received tons of government money to make that happen. Japanese government, that is.

Early adopters of new technology always pay more. Any of you guys remember what calculators cost in the 70's? And how comparatively little they did?

The Volt is the worlds first fully usable electric vehicle. It is the only one that doesn't require you to limit your travel or change your behavior to accommodate it. And the true brilliance of the design is that you can swap out the gas engine for anything else. Small efficient diesel? Sure! Even better, since the engine is basically just a generator, it is the perfect use for a small turbine.

The Volt is a simply brilliant car.
You've been brainwashed so severely that many of your posts are obvious lies. I guess you haven't driven a Tesla?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I thought we were exploring other options. All I'm saying is let's no go broke doing so.

As the old saying goes, the stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones. Have a little patience.

Chas
I would like to see more research into the NG sector. It's proven to make electricity by much cleaner means than coal (which will be charging most volts). Or even propane, as the engines we already have run better, cleaner, and longer on either. If the public will pay 25k for a battery, why wouldn't they pony up 10k for a carbon fiber tank. Then all we need to do is get some fueling infrastructure up. I don't think we could ever run out of NG, not even 100s of years into the future. Tons of it gets burned only to prevent build up (the flares you see burning at well sites). They haven't even got the battery for cordless drills perfected yet, much less one to power the size of motor needed to run a car. Of course, I'm not sure if the NG cars would drive better than Beemers. That's like saying the ride in my work truck improves when I put premium in it.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
How many other $40K cars are you shopping for, Charles?
None.

But if I were, I suppose you can guess which one in particular would NOT be on the list.

But if you want to buy one, that's fine by me. You could use it to go shopping for 3K IEC power cords.

Chas
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
You've been brainwashed so severely that many of your posts are obvious lies. I guess you haven't driven a Tesla?
And your hatred is so overwhelming, you can't see the truth when it is right in front of you.

Want to post pics of the Volt of the Tesla you drove? Why don't you describe your test drives?

Tesla? Sure have. Cool toy, but doesn't hold a candle to the Volt as a CAR.

Last edited by Bigerik; 03-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM

So we gave the transistor to the Japanese because we didn't want to develop it further, we have given the Chinese control of solar panels rather than develop them further. The Koreans haven't had anything yet.....

I guess it's too late to go back to horses.

Carl
Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
So we gave the transistor to the Japanese because we didn't want to develop it further, we have given the Chinese control of solar panels rather than develop them further. The Koreans haven't had anything yet.....

I guess it's too late to go back to horses.

Carl
The irony is that since the majority of home installations of solar panels are Chinese panels, and the homeowner gets a rebate, then we are subsidizing the Chinese manufacturers also.
Attached Images
File Type: gif th_SarcasticSmileyNo.gif (4.0 KB, 16 views)