Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
We tried steam cars in the beginning because that is what was SOTA. The Germans tried to do diesel and that was to be bio fuel powered, petro diesel was later. Now that there is some demand, a better battery is being R&D'd.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_20051131
Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dump the idea other than your President supports it.

Carl
Doesn't matter if my president supports it or not. It's still too expensive.

Get the bugs worked out, make it affordable, and I'll be interested. Until then, it makes no economic sense to me.

If I have a bone to pick with my president and his administration, it would be the fact that they have pissed away a pile of money on these pie in the sky ventures, while standing in the way of proven energy sources which are currently affordable.

The way I see it, my president is unnecessarily costing me money. And I take a very dim view of people who unnecessarily cost me money. I draw my conclusions not on ideology, but instead on economic reality.

The future will get here. Let's just not go broke trying to force the issue.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
That is great for today but what about tomorrow?

We all know gas would not be what it is today if this country had followed Carter's lead in 76.

I don't know about you but the price of oil has changed my lifestyle. Not exploring other options has caused this and is as irresponsible as our national debt and cut from the same cloth. Live for today, let the kids worry about it.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Correct.
Looking at the way these things are flying off of the showroom floor, it appears that you and I are part of that 99% who agree.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
That is great for today but what about tomorrow?

We all know gas would not be what it is today if this country had followed Carter's lead in 76.

I don't know about you but the price of oil has changed my lifestyle. Not exploring other options has caused this and is as irresponsible as our national debt and cut from the same cloth. Live for today, let the kids worry about it.
I thought we were exploring other options. All I'm saying is let's no go broke doing so.

As the old saying goes, the stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones. Have a little patience.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Resident octogenarian

There is a perfectly sensible answer CANDU reactors but the oil and gas companies would rather screw up the environment.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Get the bugs worked out, make it affordable, and I'll be interested. Until then, it makes no economic sense to me.

If I have a bone to pick with my president and his administration, it would be the fact that they have pissed away a pile of money on these pie in the sky ventures, while standing in the way of proven energy sources which are currently affordable.

The way I see it, my president is unnecessarily costing me money. And I take a very dim view of people who unnecessarily cost me money. I draw my conclusions not on ideology, but instead on economic reality.

The future will get here. Let's just not go broke trying to force the issue.

Chas
That link goes to a whole mess of reading that, in a nutshell, they Envia) have figured out a half the priced, longer distance, quicker charging battery. They say it could make the car prices go down to 25K and get 300 miles on a charge.
That strikes me as rather significant, YMMV I suppose.

Carl
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
That link goes to a whole mess of reading that, in a nutshell, they Envia) have figured out a half the priced, longer distance, quicker charging battery. They say it could make the car prices go down to 25K and get 300 miles on a charge.
That strikes me as rather significant, YMMV I suppose.

Carl
I looked over your link and took it as the battery was going to cost 25K, but the price would come down after they went into production.

Perhaps I was too quick in reading the link.

Point is, whenever these newer technologies become viable, I'll jump on the bandwagon. If someone is to build a better mousetrap, I'll buy it.

I just don't want to forced into buying something which is not only more expensive than what I currently have, but by having energy prices manipulated by the powers that be to make them appear affordable by comparison.

I simply can't afford it. And I've been around long enough to spot a shake down whenever it happens.

I'm not stupid, if I can save money with something better, I'd be a damn fool not to do so.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM

The funny thing everyone forgets is,

It needs electricity to run, and electricity is made with coal and oil.

There is little or no saving when you calculate the actual mileage that it gets, compared to the amount of coal and oil required to make the electricity used. And if you use the heater you only get half the range advertised.

But if the batteries catch fire, the heater will not be needed.

Another fine product brought to you by the Obama Corp. And he's in the top 1% !

Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post

Bill
. . . and fission, and wind, and flowing water, and natural gas.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post

Bill
Only because we are too damn stupid to go to our good neighbours to the north and ask "May we have the plans for your CANDU reactors". They do not need enriched uranium, can even burn the spent fuel from light water reactors, and India is planning on converting their CANDU reactors to burn thorium which is even more plentiful than uranium.

So keep your rice burners and we will keep our Chevys.