Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Better Hurry

Looks like the volt is yet another government propped up green thing that's done. I'll be careful not to use a FOX link, because it would be a lie if they reported it. How's CNN? http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/02/auto...ction_stopped/

Anyone ever do the math on the payback for this 40k+ red herring?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Looks like the volt is yet another government propped up green thing that's done. I'll be careful not to use a FOX link, because it would be a lie if they reported it. How's CNN? http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/02/auto...ction_stopped/

Anyone ever do the math on the payback for this 40k+ red herring?
I was reading that the battery contains the approximate energy of one gallon of gas under actual operating conditions (hills, AC or heat on, etc).

Considering that you could probably buy an equal car for 12K less, including the rebate, and you're saving 1 gallon of gas per day @ $4 per, the payback on the difference of the 12K alone would take app 8.22 years.

Now if you take into consideration that the cheaper auto probably gets better mileage than the Volt once the battery is depleted, and the cost of recharging the battery isn't factored in, also repairs, not to mention that depreciation on the Volt will probably be horrible...I don't see how you could ever come out on owning one.

GM's gonna have to do better than that.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Cept it's one of the finest driving cars I have ever driven. Truly a spectacular driving experience. Motor Trend magazine called it a "moon shot". This is easily the finest car ever engineered in America. The Toyota Prius is a hack job by comparison. And the Prius also received tons of government money to make that happen. Japanese government, that is.

Early adopters of new technology always pay more. Any of you guys remember what calculators cost in the 70's? And how comparatively little they did?

The Volt is the worlds first fully usable electric vehicle. It is the only one that doesn't require you to limit your travel or change your behavior to accommodate it. And the true brilliance of the design is that you can swap out the gas engine for anything else. Small efficient diesel? Sure! Even better, since the engine is basically just a generator, it is the perfect use for a small turbine.

The Volt is a simply brilliant car.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Still costs too much.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Still costs too much.

Chas
And Gen 2 will cost less.

There is absolutely no car like it in the world like it. It is easily worth what they charge for it. If your only criteria for value is MPG, then I suggest you spend $3K on a 15 year old Geo Metro.

It actually drives as well as a BMW. I suggest you try one. Just don't look at it as only an economy car.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Admin

I'm waiting for the pick up model..
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
And Gen 2 will cost less.

There is absolutely no car like it in the world like it. It is easily worth what they charge for it. If your only criteria for value is MPG, then I suggest you spend $3K on a 15 year old Geo Metro.

It actually drives as well as a BMW. I suggest you try one. Just don't look at it as only an economy car.
Jesus, I ain't THAT tight.

I'd be willing to drop 5K on a 15 year old Park Ave, since I figger that it would haul my ass from point A to point B just as well as anything else...and in comfort.

And still get pretty good mileage.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm waiting for the pick up model..
If it doesn't come configured as a 1-ton 4WD, it would be pretty much worthless to me.

Chas
Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM

We tried steam cars in the beginning because that is what was SOTA. The Germans tried to do diesel and that was to be bio fuel powered, petro diesel was later. Now that there is some demand, a better battery is being R&D'd.
Quote:
Now Envia Systems, a start-up based in the East Bay city of Newark, plans to announce Monday that it has achieved a critical milestone: a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with an "energy density" of 400 watt-hours per kilogram, the highest energy density known to be recorded.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_20051131
Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dump the idea other than your President supports it.

Carl
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Still costs too much.

Chas
Correct.