Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM

She uses these factory loaded Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip jobs. Probably a wonderful bullet for 200 yards or so, but man they make a nasty hole up close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winst 002.jpg (87.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
She uses these factory loaded Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip jobs. Probably a wonderful bullet for 200 yards or so, but man they make a nasty hole up close.
Yep. I think these are Nosler Ballistic Tips factory-loaded by Winchester with a proprietary color scheme on the bullet. Ballistic tips are known to be pretty fragile, particularly in a higher velocity round like a .270, leading sometimes to a pretty nasty mess.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yep. I think these are Nosler Ballistic Tips factory-loaded by Winchester with a proprietary color scheme on the bullet. Ballistic tips are known to be pretty fragile, particularly in a higher velocity round like a .270, leading sometimes to a pretty nasty mess.
One she shot really close in, had some ribs sticking out the damn entry hole. She said it snuck up on her while she was having a smoke.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM

I loaded all my own Nosler Ballistic tips for my .270. Got them reaching out at 3K-3.3K fps iirc. They didn't do what you are saying.....I musta done summin wrong. I'll hit Suze up on FB for a few shootin tips
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm a cheapskate. I load my .270 with 130 gr. Sierra BTSP's. They're pretty fragile in their own right, but considerably cheaper than the Noslers (and a little more accurate in my gun).
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'm a cheapskate. I load my .270 with 130 gr. Sierra BTSP's. They're pretty fragile in their own right, but considerably cheaper than the Noslers (and a little more accurate in my gun).
It was my first adventure into reloading so I bought the RCBS dies, several different powders(finding stick powder is a pain to work with), new Winchester brass and primers and all Nosler Ballistic tips (.243, .270, .300 H&H mag). This was before I had a child and debt from moving around the country.

My father always had a nice supply of Sierra bullets around but unfortunately for me was no longer reloading or had the equipment by the time I was old enough to learn.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I loaded all my own Nosler Ballistic tips for my .270. Got them reaching out at 3K-3.3K fps iirc. They didn't do what you are saying.....I musta done summin wrong. I'll hit Suze up on FB for a few shootin tips
Probably a good idea when it envolves a rifle, she's a natural. True story; I bought her, her first rifle as a Christmas present and had it mounted with a nice little Bushnell 3x9 scope. We went out to her Dad's to sight it in (he has a nice 100 yard range set up). I borrowed his brand new lazer bore sighting thingy, and sighted the rifle in. She was at the shooting bench with the gun on sand bags and I had my spotting scope on a table near by. You could tell she was nervous about shooting the gun, I think because I had just finished sighting in my 300 winn mag and she watched the beating I took. Anyhow, after much fidgeting around, she let one fly. I looked through my scope, but she wasn't even on the paper. I told her to shoot twice more, and she did. The next two were about 2 inches low and left of the bull (not one hole, but almost). When we retrieved the target, it was obvious that her first shot went straight through the bullseye, I just couldn't see it through my crappy spotting scope. That was her first ever shot with a rifle of any kind, an Ultra Light .270. We still have the target, and I wanted to frame it, but she wouldn't let me. I couldn't get over how good the bore sighting lazer worked. I shot the gun a few times, and no adjustments were made to the scope at all.