Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Actually, Obama did place limits on executive compensation for anyone who took new money under TARP, but those who got it from the previous administration had imposed no such condition. Therefore, Obama could not restrict the obscenity on those loans.

Regards,

D-Ray
At the end of the day, a symbolic and pretty meaningless gesture.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Hookers and blow seem to be the enemies of good oversight (same case for Wall St., BTW). Maybe we should make hookers and blow illegal.
Ron Paul will fight you on this one...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe 100,000 more taxpayers working. That would equal about $200,000,000 in annual income tax revenue and about $750,000,000 annually in trust fund tax revenue. Of course that's above whatever the actual sale of the stock eventually nets.

EDIT: Oops, it looks like my numbers were way low. It is estimated that the bailout of both GM and Chrysler saved 1,400,000 jobs. The financial effect of that, in terms of save unemployment compensation, tax revenue and trust fund tax revenue is about $27,600,000 in 2009 and 10.

Regards,

D-Ray
Just curious where you found those numbers. Not disputing them, but I have been arguing that point for ages, and would like some backup.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
It looks like the US bailout of GM has caused the end of capitalism as we know it. GM was only able to eke out a $3.2 billion profit for the first quarter.

Regards,

D-Ray
I only wish it had caused the end of capitalism.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Abby Normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osnjAb-hoPo

Talking Union
Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Time to post positive news about the UAW and the auto makers

I heard about this several weeks ago and kept an ear out for any news reporting on it. Neither the right wing wing media or the left wing media here has said a damn thing about this. I did hear a BBC radio report.

The UAW and all three car manufacturers have come to a contract agreement that is good for workers, good for management, and good for the country. It is a fine example of what management and workers can do when they put there heads together to come up with common sense solutions, without the dick measuring contest mentality. Also, as an added bonus, they will INSOURCE jobs from China, Japan, and Mexico. I am only going to post the Ford link but all three have signed on to the new agreement.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/10/...-contract.html

The Obama administration made the right call on this one. Credit where credit is due. The BBC report had a source, which I cannot recall at the moment, that stated, the US auto industry will be a big part of pulling the US out of recession.

side note:

Check out the new Ford service van.

http://www.autointhenews.com/ford-ua...roduct-to-u-s/

It is a blatant rip off of the Mercedes Sprinter. We are finally learning from the Chinese.

Last edited by wgrr; 11-03-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: dixlexai
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
We've seen the Minerals Management Service at work too.

Pete
Just who appointed all the MMS people?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

So, when's the left gonna get me 17 paid holidays?

Rob, a green left candidate who was going to change everything, left the MMS perfectly alone.

Pete
Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Area Man

I heard on NPR yesterday that German women can take up to a year for maturnity leave, with pay up to a limit of $37,000. But, the pay doesn't come from the womans employer while on maturnity leave---it comes from the government.

Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I heard on NPR yesterday that German women can take up to a year for maturnity leave, with pay up to a limit of $37,000. But, the pay doesn't come from the womans employer while on maturnity leave---it comes from the government.

Dave
Yep. It's all about Germany (and a number of other advanced nations) having a birth rate less than is necessary to keep their society going (in terms of a replacement generation to pay taxes to support today's retirees, etc.). It's been that way for at least 30 years. It's either have more German babies or allow more Turks to immigrate.