Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM

$250.00 for a new licence plate??? Wtf??!!

the florida govt. is always pulling new crap. this year, the state of florida litarlly QUADRUPLED all dmv prices, including licence plates, drivers licences, tickets, suspensions, and everything else you can think of. my licence is currently suspended and i just found out it will cost over $1500 to get it back! (thats including a $500 suspension fee, $100 re-instatement fee, $250.00 licence plate, $600 new insurance policy, (just for pip) -the state of florida it is a crime to not have car insurance so companies can basicly charge you whatever the hell they want, and also other fees. NO WONDER SO MANY PEOPLE ARE DRIVING AROUND WITH BAD TAGS, BAD LICENCES, NO INSURANCE BECAUSE THE STATE MAKES IT SO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE TO OWN A CAR! seriously? how the hell can they do this??? please tell me how this is legal and how the hell a law like this was ever passed??!!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think the trick is not to get your license suspended. It seems to me that you're paying a penalty of sorts for some past bad behavior behind the wheel. Also, higher fees are imposed in order to keep tax rates low because politicians (particularly Republicans) insist on hiding taxes with such fee structures.

FWIW, in Maryland plates for 2 years cost $128 or $180, the higher amount for cars over 3700# and you are also required by law to have insurance.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM

So how much is a DUI there? Here in California first offense can run 10 thousand or more when it is all said and done, fines, jail, paying for the jail, classes and paying for them,etc. Glad I ain't been there done that on that one.

Carl
Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Tags for our relatively cheap Astra were around $230. I just paid a little over $100 for registration and sales tax for a 24 year old car. It'll be around $50 next year. We do have some pretty good schools and safe streets in JoCo, so I'm not upset paying my fair share. My Insurance co. gets about five times as much from us as the state - and that's with no chargeable tickets (We did have some "defective equipment" a couple of times). I'll be glad to get a couple of young adult males off of our coverage in a couple of years.

I'm not aware of any state that does not have mandatory auto insurance.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 03-30-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 PM

Shop around for your insurance. We have mandatory insurance in NY, and there's tremendous variability in rates between companies. I was dropped by the company I had been with for 22 years (without a single claim) because I was late paying too many times for their taste. They set me up with someone else, and the rates seemed high. I stayed with them out of complacency for about six months, and when I shopped around I found that they were 500% higher than Geico. Five times the price!!! When I called them out on it, they just said "Yeah, we know our rates are kinda high in NY." BTW... the ripoff company? Progressive. Funny how the two companies with the most aggressive ad campaigns are at the opposite ends of the price spectrum.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Area Man

Florida a Red State?

Dave
Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

For all the compulsory insurance law we are quite happy with Allstate. When Progressive or Geico claim they can save me over $475 a year I ask where is the check 'cause you will owe me.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat.jpg (28.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Loyal Opposition

Catipalism at work.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

GROOOOOOaaaannnn.......

Pete