Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Check your facts.

John
???????
Old 09-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Are you trying to say it wouldn't be their fault?
Yes, this is what I'm saying. Evryone knows it Republicans that like to play with death rays and what-not.

The low paying jobs I had as a young man were filled with beer and drugs. The better, higher paying places - weren't.

Kinda true.

Brock Yates mentions in one of his books that workers in a Chrysler plant in Youngstown liked to fool around, and were seen slapping trim on one handed, behind their backs, etc...

I don't recall there ever being a Chrysler plant in Y'town. Some small company bought the license to build Avantis there after AMC went claws up back in the '70s, or maybe you're thinking of the GM plant in Lordstown?

And my bud that worked in the Twinsburg stamping plant has some great stories about the drugs drinking drawing straws to see who was staying till closing time to clock out etc...

This is where my Dad retired from. And he had similar stories. Amazing that place lasted as long as it did, from the stories he told.

My dad worked a job in NYC. The HVAC guys on the roof had written right into their contract that they could have one beer with lunch. An enterprising local started selling these giant cans of beer to them.

My brother used to work for a German company. The Plant Manager would buy the maintenance crew a couple cases of beer on friday at the end of the day, then sit in the shop and drink with them.

By the end of the job the roof was littered with them

All that said piss tests are unfair to working men and I'll tell you why - an office guy and a warehouse guy hits a j at a weekend party.

Two weeks later, who's at risk of getting fired? The piss test is mandatory for a workplace accident. What's the chances of the office guy having a reportable accident vs the warehouse guy?

There is no way that it's a factor two weeks later. But the warehouse guy gets fired because he smushed a finger. And no workers comp!

I would agree, Pete. Except; What are the chances of the office guy screwing up so bad he gets people killed? I know, it seems unfair, but I think there is a difference in the risks.

A swab test reads back 2-4 days and is much more fair to the warehouse worker.

True.

[/soapbox]

Pete
Have a swell weekend!
Dave
Old 09-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
???????
Check your facts.

John
Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Clarification please John?

Blue, I agree about the danger, but I'm talking 2 weeks after the fact.

Pete
Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
THC rarely persists in the urine for more than a few days. The exception being chronic users who occasionally show traces for several weeks. The clear implication here is that positive THC results several weeks after consumption is an indication of an habitual chronic user of the chronic.

John
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Blue, I agree about the danger, but I'm talking 2 weeks after the fact.

Pete
True.

Dave
Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I see John, but it was also my understanding that it varies greatly depneding on percentage of body fat.

Why not the swab test? Because the evil employers don't want workers comp claims?

Pet
Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Arguing weather drug tests are fair is well and ok, but how the hell did these 15 not get tested at all ?

Yes I am assuming they were not, after all they would have been caught by their employer, long ago.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Loyal Opposition

I can't help but enjoy sitting back here and seeing some of our usual lefties taking on the authoritarian position and one of our dependable righties standing up for the working stiffs.

It seems like on thing we can agree on is that some guys partying at lunchtime doesn't have anything to do with the financial support to the automakers during the economic crisis. The only causal link would be that without the federal intervention, there might not have been a job there that some people could chose to abuse.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Arguing weather drug tests are fair is well and ok, but how the hell did these 15 not get tested at all ?

Yes I am assuming they were not, after all they would have been caught by their employer, long ago.
There are several types of drug testing plans. Some are for cause only, but in all cases of accident or injury. Such plans can also include random drug testing, in which someone's number comes up for testing at random intervals. Many test people as part of pre-employment screening. Having a regular policy of blanket testing is very expensive - consider that there were 2800 people at the plant. A long-winded way of saying that it is quite possible that the number might not have come up for this party pack.

Regards,

D-Ray