Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Chrysler Auto Workers Busted

I know some of you will dismiss this due to being a Fox story but its still sickening. And yes I know its going on all over, but being so blatant about it the Detroit way.

myFOXDetroit.com Staff - We're all rooting for the auto industry to come back stronger than ever. It affects every one of us here in metro Detroit and across the country because it's so important to our economy.

Fox 2's Rob Wolchek got a tip about what some guys are doing at Chrysler's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit. This is the same plant that President Barack Obama visited back in July and talked about the significance of manufacturing in America.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ed_20100923_dk
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It's certainly bad that they're smoking and drinking on the job and that Chrysler didn't have an effective substance abuse program in place. However, the sensationalist manner in which this report ties these problems to Obama is another example of Fox yellow journalism.

There's plenty to be disgusted by in this report without the smarmy manner of coverage. I wonder what the workers comp carrier for Chrysler thinks about this.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Here Grumpy, this'll help. The story is sourced from somewhere other than Fox:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...cohol-at-lunch

Unfortunately, nothing really new here, except that these characters got caught on tape.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Here Grumpy, this'll help. The story is sourced from somewhere other than Fox:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...cohol-at-lunch

Unfortunately, nothing really new here, except that these characters got caught on tape.
Yes and it is a much more professionally done report. It omits the sensationalism. It doesn't use charged political terms like the TV reporter's contemptuous pronunciation of the word "bailout" The workers, who the Detroit news characterized as a small group of workers, were the entire focus of the story. I would submit that out of any group of over 2500 people, whether they are office people, salespersons, plant workers, lawyers, accountants, engineers, or lobbyists, there are going to be at least fifteen who are substance abusers or alcoholics. For such people, the bottle or the hit becomes the most important thing in their lives, and they are willing to take unreasonable risks to feed their addiction. It is a sad, but selfish behavior.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 09-23-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Your seriously downplaying this ?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Your seriously downplaying this ?
I don't see why you wouldn't.

This sort of thing is more rampant than you could possibly believe...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It's certainly bad that they're smoking and drinking on the job and that Chrysler didn't have an effective substance abuse program in place. However, the sensationalist manner in which this report ties these problems to Obama is another example of Fox yellow journalism.

There's plenty to be disgusted by in this report without the smarmy manner of coverage. I wonder what the workers comp carrier for Chrysler thinks about this.
I would challenge you just a bit in your suggestion that this is "Fox" yellow journalism. Rob Wolchek is not uncommon in his reporting style in Detroit. Steve Wilson who used to be on the local ABC affiliate comes to mind. The "Problem Solvers" is the local affiliate's "news-making", as opposed to news reporting, function. I'd also suggest, in my travels when watching some local news outlets in other cities, there are other "news-maker" segments on other news casts as well.

Last edited by whell; 09-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I would challenge you just a bit in your suggestion that this is "Fox" yellow journalism. There is at least one Rob Wolchek on each of the local newscasts in Detroit. The "Problem Solvers" is the local affiliate's "news-making", as opposed to news reporting, function. I'd also suggest, in my travels when watching some local news outlets in other cities, there are other "news-maker" segments on other news casts as well.
Perhaps so. I suppose that most local news stations have their "designated ghouls," as my wife calls them. This sort of sensationalism on the local news is definitely not exclusively Fox's terrain. The story itself is fine and newsworthy (at least to some degree). It was the tone and presentation that left me cold. Just give me the friggin' facts in a dispassionate manner without all the silly drama and innuendo.

I'm amazed in this day and age that such a company as Chrysler doesn't have a stronger substance abuse program, particularly for industrial workers. I'd hate to see what the accident rate in that plant is, not to mention the quality of the product coming off the line.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Area Man

This is indeed disgusting behaviour, and shouldn't be tolerated. Factories are dangerous places as it is, throw alcohol and/or drugs into the mix and you are putting your life and the lives of others on the line.

We recently sent four guys from our maintenance department out for drug/alcohol testing over an incident involving improper rebuilding of a large centrifugal impeller type fan. The fan is similar in design to the fan in your vacuum cleaner only it is cast steel, four feet in diameter, driven by a 100hp motor and weighs several hundred pounds. Because they failed to properly pack the bearings in grease, the bearings became extremely hot, the pillow blocks (bearing housings) exploded sending chucks of cast iron flying over fifty feet. The impeller itself slammed into the side of it's housing, destroying it, but miraculously did not break through and leave the housing. The drive shaft, 5 inches in diameter and 4.5 feet long was bent like a noodle and you could see where the impeller twisted off of it. In short, someone could very easily have been killed, or grievously injured.

So far no positive test results have come back. But, all four men have been written up and warned. If anyone comes up positive, he's gone.

I can tell you guys, the type of behavior seen in that video is not limited to auto industry or union shops. I've worked in non-union plants and seen people snorting coke in the bathrooms, coming back from lunch stinking of beer, even finding places to sneak off to and get high-------inside the plant. I will say that it seems to be less commonplace now than it did say, twenty years ago, but it still happens.

The company I work for now is pretty good at prevention with simple rules against loitering in the parking lot, drug testing policies such as the one mentioned above, etc.
I only know of one incident of a man gettting caught with beer in his locker.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can do it. I have never gone to work drunk or high. I just can't function that way.

Not trying to downplay the behaviour, but to an extent I can see Dons point. Fox does politicize everything, and I mean everything. If a pidgeon shits on a clean statue it is somehow Obamas fault. If an alien spaceship should show up and start shooting death rays about, it'll be because the Democrats failed to secure the stratosphere. And don't give me that, "That's the Detroit style" horsehockey either. They do the same thing everywhere. I will uabashedly tell you I despise FoxNews and every single smug faced, self-righteous conspiracy theorist dickhead that works for them. (And most of their viewers as well.)

Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite,
Dave
Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I don't see why you wouldn't.

This sort of thing is more rampant than you could possibly believe...
I know I worked in lot's of factories as a high school and college kid during the summer and this sort of thing was a way of life in all factories, especially on Fridays.