Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
In fairness using power generated at a single point (powerplants) vs multiples (like internal combustion engines) compared apples to apples generates about 1/3 less the pollution (according to dear old dad).

Pete
What was it you said to me a while back - "No fair being reasonable."

Bear in mind also that a significant amount of electricity is created by burning natural gas, which burns much cleaner. In a prior life, I worked for a company that delivered gas to the electric company. Our department was called "Gas Control" which opened us up to plenty of jokes.

Nuclear generation of electricity is a whole 'nother discussion.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ooo! Ooo! Do I get to say, move it to space?

:thumbsup:

One issue with natural gas is the sad fracking, which I worry about. Don't know why, the planet's so screwed up already! I'm surprised I don't see squirrels with a 3rd nut.

Which is a nice segway into a discussion on the publics' fear of nuke power.

Coal is still king of US power @ 46% of generation and with Rockefellers' reserves I can't believe we're not going to keep using it.

It all comes back to the unified theory Which I now have to modify to include gas control lol!

Pete
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
i think it is insane.

The answer to energy is in wind and solar.
No, wind does not always blow nor does the sun always shine, thorium based nukes is the answer.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Ooo! Ooo! Do I get to say, move it to space?

:thumbsup:

One issue with natural gas is the sad fracking, which I worry about. Don't know why, the planet's so screwed up already! I'm surprised I don't see squirrels with a 3rd nut.

Which is a nice segway into a discussion on the publics' fear of nuke power.

Coal is still king of US power @ 46% of generation and with Rockefellers' reserves I can't believe we're not going to keep using it.

It all comes back to the unified theory Which I now have to modify to include gas control lol!

Pete
I agree that fracking is a worrisome issue. If we had more information about the cocktail of chemicals that is used in the process and some neutral scientific studies, we could better evaluate it. As with everything there are tradeoffs. Natural gas is a clean burning fuel, and by some reports it is abundant, but it's not clear whether the methods used to get some of it sets back the environment in other ways. Same with Nuclear power.

I do know that we are just as addicted to our electricity as we are to our automobiles. It's almost AC weather here in KC. Supposed to get up to 84 tomorrow. (With the wife sleeping days, we use AC earlier than most folks. There is way too much noise with the windows open.)

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Global warming!

It's beautiful here too (but not 84!). This is the earliest spring I can remember, after one of the mildest winters.

Pete
Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Here's something interesting:

(snip)

Although coal is still the main fuel for electricity generation, its share of monthly power generation in the U.S. dropped below 40 percent in the last two months in 2011, according to the Energy Department. The last time coal's share of total generation was below 40 percent for a monthly total was March 1978.

A combination of mild weather in the U.S. -- the world's largest electricity market, closely followed by China -- plus mild weather led to a recent drop in total generation and the increasing price competitiveness of natural gas relative to coal.

Total U.S. electricity generation was down 7 percent in December 2011 compared to December 2010. Despite this decline, generation from natural gas rose 12 percent to 86 terawatt-hours. Coal-fired generation, however, fell by 21 percent between during the period to 132 terawatt-hours.

(endsnip)

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3134...atural-gas.htm

Pete