Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You flatter yourself. Your first post in months comes in this thread and is a link to Robert Byrd, a favorite conservative meme when issues of racism arise. Similarly, you responded in the past to threads about Trump's rampant lying with "Obama said that if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." Both of these are just shopworn, lazy memes that add nothing to the conversation.
In your less than biased opinion.

In the context of the discussion about "politicians lying", the Obama reference was spot-on. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean that is wasn't accurate. As you like to observe: "the truth hurts".

Likewise, the reference to Byrd in this thread is also spot-on. Byrd is still highly regarded in the Dem party regardless of his checkered past, and his offenses were far worse than Northam's. Your claims of recent heightened sensibilities to matters of race don't seem to extend to past icons like Byrd.

In contrast, its Dems leading the charge to revise / erase history by insisting that Confederate military statues must be torn down. Robert Byrd's name, however, is still on a significant number of federal buildings.

So, given the inconsistencies, one is left to wonder what really is behind the Northam flap, and the yearbook picture that has always been out there, and just happens to surface now. Selective indignation? Dems trying pulling the rug out from under Northam for other reasons?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
In your less than biased opinion.
So, an unbiased opinion, then...

You're such a Dilbert.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Ready

The revision of history happened when the rebel generals were put on pedestals and glorified. Taking them down doesn't erase history, that's just silly. They can be in books and museums, who says they can't? Just stop glorifying the fighters-for-slavery so much.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So, given the inconsistencies, one is left to wonder what really is behind the Northam flap, and the yearbook picture that has always been out there, and just happens to surface now. Selective indignation? Dems trying pulling the rug out from under Northam for other reasons?
There is nothing to wonder about in the Northam flap. The photo was released by a former Breitbarter who works for another right-wing website because of Northam's position on abortion (he has spoken openly about this). Dems' reaction to it, as I explained already, was due to their desire to maintain the moral high ground on matters concerning Trump's racism and misogyny.

As for Robert Byrd, he's been dead for nearly 10 years, yet remains a favorite meme of conservatives engaging in whataboutism when their inappropriate racist behavior/history comes to the fore.

You really are slow on the uptake.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-06-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The revision of history happened when the rebel generals were put on pedestals and glorified. Taking them down doesn't erase history, that's just silly. They can be in books and museums, who says they can't? Just stop glorifying the fighters-for-slavery so much.
What a lot of uninformed wingnuts like Whell think is that these statues were erected immediately after the Civil War to commemorate their heroes. In fact, however, the vast majority of the Confederate monuments were built during the era of Jim Crow laws (1877–1954) and the Civil Rights Movement (1954–1968) and were intended as a means of intimidating African Americans and reaffirming white supremacy.

That said, these statues don't particularly bother me, but I completely understand why they disturb our African-American fellow citizens. For the record, I have forefathers who fought on both sides, including a great-grandfather who was a Confederate general (Gen. Richard Channing Jones of Alabama).
Old 02-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Admin

Now AG Herring cops to wearing blackface. Is there something in the water down there that makes Virginia pols dumber than a bag of hammers? Maybe they like Tennessee whisky too much? s/k
Old 02-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Now AG Herring cops to wearing blackface. Is there something in the water down there that makes Virginia pols dumber than a bag of hammers? Maybe they like Tennessee whisky too much? s/k
Knowing the region as I do, it was not uncommon for blackface to show up at costume and frat parties up until the mid 80's. It was actually quite common at frat parties in the Southeast. I think this is yet another case of applying today's standards to yesteryear.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Always thought Dilbert got some of it's best licks in lampooning the HR cats....

The longer you verk here...
I have no f##king idea how he can deliniate Trump's lack of management ability so thoroughly in his strips and support his election when he was the living model of the pointy haired insistently clueless boss.

Last edited by Pio1980; 02-06-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What a lot of uninformed wingnuts like Whell think is that these statues were erected immediately after the Civil War to commemorate their heroes. In fact, however, the vast majority of the Confederate monuments were built during the era of Jim Crow laws (1877–1954) and the Civil Rights Movement (1954–1968) and were intended as a means of intimidating African Americans and reaffirming white supremacy.

That said, these statues don't particularly bother me, but I completely understand why they disturb our African-American fellow citizens. For the record, I have forefathers who fought on both sides, including a great-grandfather who was a Confederate general (Gen. Richard Channing Jones of Alabama).
They were erected as a means to promote white supremacy and continue the war of secession by other means, as was Jim Crow and segregation.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Knowing the region as I do, it was not uncommon for blackface to show up at costume and frat parties up until the mid 80's. It was actually quite common at frat parties in the Southeast. I think this is yet another case of applying today's standards to yesteryear.
We are supposed to live, learn, and grow while we admit mistakes and learn from them, the 80s were closer to the 60s than to now.
However, I don't know that there ever was a time in the world when someone somewhere didn't know that human bondage for labor was ethically reprehensible.