Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:49 PM

The Republican Party Used to Be Grand

The Republican Party used to be grand.

They even called themselves the Grand Old Party which is kind of embarrassing, but it really was a grand party at one time. Sadly, no more.

History of The Republican Party

Two of my favorite presidents were Republicans, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt.

Neither of those men would have dreamed of making a punch line out of the Federal government like Ronald Reagan did:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

Every time I hear that infamous quip I think of what people all over the world felt when seeing American soldiers who had just freed them from tyranny. It sure wasn't terror of the US government.

I miss the old GOP.

Last edited by Mark B; 08-22-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The only truly decent Republican presidents in the past 120 years were Teddy Roosevelt, Ike and G.H.W. Bush. The rest were somewhere between bad and awful.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:27 PM

It is not gone.
Overtaken by greedy, fascist, bigots and racists and the rest are too scared to do anything about it.

Selling the negative, never with ideas except those to make the rich richer. Divide, put everyone against each other. Been working so far.

One thing thou, the ones running the show have the Dems number.

Knowing full well that the Dems will never until to late fight back against there take over. The Dems have so far made the mistake of not fighting by the same rules of the Repubs. Still clinging on the the ideals, there is a way to reach out and work it out. Work thing out together, yes together for the betterment of everyone.

Most of the Repulbs I know have a lot of hate directed towards any that are not in the fold.....
Old 08-22-2021, 08:41 PM

The 50-50 split in the Senate has the Dems paralyzed and a couple of wayward members like Sinema and Manchin has them scratching their butts instead of their heads. Late night comedians are doing a better job of defending their party than the members of the party.
With Pelosi and Schumer leading the charge, they don't get any attention either, two ultimate has-beens. Where is the push back from their party as President Biden is getting slammed because of Afghanistan withdrawal. On Page 7?
Old 08-23-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
It is not gone.
Overtaken by greedy, fascist, bigots and racists and the rest are too scared to do anything about it.

Selling the negative, never with ideas except those to make the rich richer. Divide, put everyone against each other. Been working so far.

One thing thou, the ones running the show have the Dems number.

Knowing full well that the Dems will never until to late fight back against there take over. The Dems have so far made the mistake of not fighting by the same rules of the Repubs. Still clinging on the the ideals, there is a way to reach out and work it out. Work thing out together, yes together for the betterment of everyone.

Most of the Repulbs I know have a lot of hate directed towards any that are not in the fold.....
That first part is why IMO the GOP is dead. That there are those too chicken to step up to the cancer that's taken hold makes it the walking dead. They sold their souls for votes. The rest have been radicalized.

The second part I agree with. The current GOP has no interest in anything except what benefits the 1%. Right now the Dems are bringing a knife to a gunfight. No doubt about Biden being a better president than that other guy but the Dems need a president the Repubs are afraid of. Theodore Roosevelt said "speak softly and carry a big stick". Biden is speaking softly but seems unwilling to wield his stick.

Last edited by RickeyM; 08-23-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:48 AM

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/unity/202...-of-democracy/
Old 08-23-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Excellent article.