Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Let me put it this way: You said it was the perfect response to a pandemic and, in a way, it can be.

We've been in a pandemic situation for millennia, but it varies from place to place. The response in South Dakota to this one may not work in New York, but it worked great in South Dakota. The response was to do no lockdown or social distancing or require masks. They are doing about the same as North Dakota, who did take such measures.

Each state and each city can take measures based on how they, specifically, are being impacted. In my county, there has yet to be a single person to test positive, much less, die. So should we close down businesses, destroy families, etc? I don't think so.
Assuming nobody travels in/out, or just passes thru. When "if"becomes "when", it's too late.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Assuming nobody travels in/out, or just passes thru. When "if"becomes "when", it's too late.
Not so far.

I've been in Seattle for over two weeks, rarely wearing a mask. And when I do, I have a bunch of holes poked in it so I can breathe.

I'll be returning to KY very soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

I consider the flu to be a greater threat to people under 80 and not in retirement facilities. Yes, this can be deadly, but so are a lot of things we don't wear masks for. My wife had the flu two years ago and it kicked her butt for four weeks. She almost died, but she didn't. I took care of her and I never showed symptoms. Neither of us had flu shots.

My brother, who had had a flu shot, had it for six weeks the same year in Seattle. He ended up in the ER. He surived too.

Life is risk. There are a lot of things out there that can make you sick or even kill you. That is why hert immunity is so important.

I don't wash my hands much and am an avid nail biter. It appears to keep my immune system strong.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Assuming nobody travels in/out, or just passes thru. When "if" becomes "when", it's too late.
Isn't that the case in the Southern and Western states seeing large rises in cases right now? There was a lot of "Oh we're not like New York so we're safe". Complacency is the enemy.

Last edited by RickeyM; 06-30-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Isn't that the case in the Southern and Western states seeing large rises in cases right now? There was a lot of "Oh we're not like New York so we're safe". Complacency is the enemy.
Notice they are seeing rises in cases but not deaths? There is a reason for that.

On a side note, I know only one person that has been tested: My friend that fell off a ladder a couple of weeks ago and ended up in the ER room. Other than that, nope.

I have not payed much attention to the case numbers since this thing started. It really reflects a count of how many people have been tested rather than how many people even have symptoms. What actually matters is the death count.

And that stat is still plummeting. The whole reason for the whole lockdown, social distancing and masks was to flatten the death curve. That has been accomplished. Done.

We should be able to go back to business as usual. I already have.