Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
All nations have been born in violence.

Pete
not really
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

No? Some might have changed a bit seemingly peacefully, but if you look back there was always a gun or sword in there.

Pete
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
No? Some might have changed a bit seemingly peacefully, but if you look back there was always a gun or sword in there.

Pete
i admit man is territorial by nature
Old 04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Pete
Of course. There just has to be an act of violence involved or said establishment of a free and independent nation/state loses validity.

Dave
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

In Canada's case it was a pen, the one that wrote the British North America act.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

I simple cannot understand why people so revere the writings on the subject of freedom by a man who was quite content to own other human beings. There are people who bear my surname up and down the east coast. I have never found any realtionship in my genealogical research nor do I wish to as some were slave owners. I cannot understand nor condone such a practice. I do have planty of cousins west of the Mississippi River.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I simple cannot understand why people so revere the writings on the subject of freedom by a man who was quite content to own other human beings. There are people who bear my surname up and down the east coast. I have never found any realtionship in my genealogical research nor do I wish to as some were slave owners. I cannot understand nor condone such a practice. I do have planty of cousins west of the Mississippi River.
The founders of our nation were undoubtedly both smart and flawed. To me, the biggest indication of their wisdom was in knowing that people, the nation, and the constitution were all inherently flawed and so provided means for the constitution to evolve and change with the times. They also made it difficult for those changes to happen quickly as overreactions to short-term events.

I think the founders would find it ludicrous that people use quotes and ideas and ideals that may have been sensible before the industrial revolution to rigidly guide our politics and philosophies today. Learn from their thoughts and writings, of course. Rigidly adhere to the same ideals? Silly.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Noone, t's amazing, you'd think you'd get used to it, but the more I read the more horrible it gets. Faith in mankind is waaaaaay misplaced. Good things are the exception and usually temporary.

Rob, are you sure the history of Canada doesn't have a bit of blood in it somewhere?

Pete
Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Faith in mankind is waaaaaay misplaced.
not by me, I have no faith, I try to keep safe and take care of my own
Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Noone, t's amazing, you'd think you'd get used to it, but the more I read the more horrible it gets. Faith in mankind is waaaaaay misplaced. Good things are the exception and usually temporary.

Rob, are you sure the history of Canada doesn't have a bit of blood in it somewhere?

Pete
There was the Metis affair, not particularly a proud moment but it had nowt to do with founding the nation.