Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Saw a lot of that in the 1970s and early 1980s. The "field jacket" carried about the same coolness as a well-worn denim jacket.

In my mind I still see the Marlboro man as representative of American cultural dress. Yes, he is associated with cigarettes which is now bad. Similarly, female models are associated with dietary issues which are now bad. Both rightfully so.

But when visitors come to America what do they want to see? Do Mexicans want to see the Taco Bell uniform? Do Germans want to see Frankenmuth dirndls? Do Japanese want to see a steak house uniform?

To some degree the answer will be yes to all of those. Visitors are curious as to how America interprets their cultures. They will see it, giggle at the errors, and still want to see the "real" America.

My understanding is that visitors want a machine gun experience. They want to drive a V8 car to the Grand Canyon. They want the Marlboro man.

And don't we? Why do we move away from old subdivisions to the country? Only to repeat the subdivision cycle again? The vicious cycle has been going on for 70 years.

70 years of searching for culture? For the Marlboro man?

I dunno. This is just the stuff that occupies my thoughts as I wait for traffic lights to change.
It's in the culture that if you're doing good you build a big new house. That's what gone on here since the Pilgrims. Factor in lots more people, economics, law, land use regulation, etc, etc, and we get what we've got. Lots of people can't build a big new house, but they want bigger and newer anyway....
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's in the culture that if you're doing good you build a big new house. That's what gone on here since the Pilgrims. Factor in lots more people, economics, law, land use regulation, etc, etc, and we get what we've got. Lots of people can't build a big new house, but they want bigger and newer anyway....

Agreed.

I was guilty of thinking like that as my career progressed. Luckily I am predisposed to worry about maintenance. Whenever I had an opportunity to "grow" I worried that could not maintain it all. Of course I never earned enough to hire maintenance staff. If I were that wealthy in my younger years then I would have, I dunno, caved in on myself I guess.

Looking back on my experience, my desire for a bigger house and bigger boat would have quelled more quickly if I understood that the bigger house and bigger boat sounded more hollow when they were empty. People that have lived in big houses for generations probably have enough company to fill the halls with sounds. But to be a first generation in bigness and to listen to the silence of success? That's not in the marketing material for big homes and boats.

So, I guess, that's a long way to say that at this point in my life journey I would rather see cozy than see bigger. Cozy has people in it. Bigger is just bigger.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

I was guilty of thinking like that as my career progressed. Luckily I am predisposed to worry about maintenance. Whenever I had an opportunity to "grow" I worried that could not maintain it all. Of course I never earned enough to hire maintenance staff. If I were that wealthy in my younger years then I would have, I dunno, caved in on myself I guess.

Looking back on my experience, my desire for a bigger house and bigger boat would have quelled more quickly if I understood that the bigger house and bigger boat sounded more hollow when they were empty. People that have lived in big houses for generations probably have enough company to fill the halls with sounds. But to be a first generation in bigness and to listen to the silence of success? That's not in the marketing material for big homes and boats.

So, I guess, that's a long way to say that at this point in my life journey I would rather see cozy than see bigger. Cozy has people in it. Bigger is just bigger.
Very astute, too many folks don't know how much is really enough, and it's not really that much.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 PM

It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got

Sheryl Crow
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Ready

Quote:
Agreed.

The house is just a place. It's the people that count.