Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 AM

I would say a somewhat grubby t-shirt and shorts or jeans are the typical American dress.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

In DC, it's blue blazer with gray slacks in winter and blue blazer with tan slacks in summer, both with Bass Weejuns. Very imaginative.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
I suppose that the clothes the both "American Pickers" guys wear in their tv show are in a way typical of average American clothing.
YES! Beautiful, isn't it?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpots View Post
i would say a somewhat grubby t-shirt and shorts or jeans are the typical american dress.
+1! :-)
Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post

if america has a cultural dress, what does it look like?
og-107
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View Post
og-107
Saw a lot of that in the 1970s and early 1980s. The "field jacket" carried about the same coolness as a well-worn denim jacket.

In my mind I still see the Marlboro man as representative of American cultural dress. Yes, he is associated with cigarettes which is now bad. Similarly, female models are associated with dietary issues which are now bad. Both rightfully so.

But when visitors come to America what do they want to see? Do Mexicans want to see the Taco Bell uniform? Do Germans want to see Frankenmuth dirndls? Do Japanese want to see a steak house uniform?

To some degree the answer will be yes to all of those. Visitors are curious as to how America interprets their cultures. They will see it, giggle at the errors, and still want to see the "real" America.

My understanding is that visitors want a machine gun experience. They want to drive a V8 car to the Grand Canyon. They want the Marlboro man.

And don't we? Why do we move away from old subdivisions to the country? Only to repeat the subdivision cycle again? The vicious cycle has been going on for 70 years.

70 years of searching for culture? For the Marlboro man?

I dunno. This is just the stuff that occupies my thoughts as I wait for traffic lights to change.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Just had a brain spark.

What are the essential elements of cultural dress in old cultures? Are those elements directed toward community? Or independence?

The Marlboro man's clothing exudes independence and that is a problem when it comes to building communities and sensible land use. The world can only handle so many loner cowboys.

Maybe denim pants and rugged belts are better representations of our culture. The belts can hold tools or weapons, community or independence.

I remember when the Budweiser Hoedown started in Detroit. I was working a farm and wore a Buck knife on my belt. Detroit police took it away because it was a weapon in their neighborhood.

At the same time I watched dancers from the Detroit Square Dancing Club. They also wore denim and were all black.

Of course hidden in my struggle with words is the delicate issue of blacks and knives. There is that switchblade stigma. Sigh.

In any event I am trying to express that denim and rugged belts may be common threads of American dress. While those fabrics are common with the Marlboro man, they are used differently. Square dancers and farmers are not Marlboro men.

Accessories. Sigh.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View Post
og-107
Pea coat from the Army Navy surplus store here.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Pea coat from the Army Navy surplus store here.

That's a fashion that my ears are familiar with but my body does not know what it feels like.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Maybe denim pants and rugged belts are better representations of our culture. .
How about a James Dean look..... with a grubby t-shit....