Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Admin

I'm still calling on PBS for news, Bill Moyer appears to possess the integrity of a newsman in the old mold. The other networks generally are commercial and getting more so every day. 60 minutes excluded, although they could be a bit more hardhitting like they used to be.

The internet news sources are pretty much the same as the networks, if you scratch a little it is a handful of companys providing most of the content we read as news.

The blogosphere is simply a hugely expanded letters to the editor section with a free for all of self appointed experts voicing their opinions as facts with very little attribution or effort at fact checking.

The most typical example of this prostitution of the News desks of some fine old companys was handed to the Fox News Network in a court recently. It appears that the decision means that any news network can lie it's ass off with impunity.

Sad days have come when there is no veracity and integrity in the use of something that is a resource belonging to the people. The FCC has been gutted and stripped of any meaningful oversight over it.

Opinion based news can only masquerade as news. Used to be that you called a shovel a shovel and a spade a spade but now it's beyond even just selling soap. It has crept into the business of molding their clients far into the future.

Madison Ave ain't nothing new! (even I'm not that naive) but there were some standards that now aren't even relevent. Thanks to Fox News Corp maybe it's time for the slime purveyors to just drop the word News from their names.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The FCC has been gutted and stripped of any meaningful oversight
Just exactly what is it that the FCC does any more? I tried to get action on a pirate transmitter that was stomping on emergency services frequencies a couple years ago and was told "we're a regulatory agency, we don't do enforcement". Doesn't sound like they do much regulating either.

Chop, chop! I spy another bloated government agency that needs to die!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Admin

You would look at it that way, Was. After all the private sector has done such a great job of self regulating with respect to national resources and it's owners the citizens. Unless of course you were riffing on DJ.. and that was an attempt at humor. Does the Teabaggers little brown book have a talking points section with those little color coded tabs for easy identification of a rote response to everything?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Loyal Opposition

Wasn't the FCC the one that Perry forgot?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Jigsawed

I believe it was the Energy Dept.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Jigsawed

Fox news draws people who believes in their crap.
Viewers seeking substance will search for it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM

I'm talking from my own experience here guys. If they don't regulate, and they don't enforce, what do they do?
If the FCC isn't enforcing, who is?
What's the difference between letting private industry run amok, and having a government agency that let's it run amok? I'll tell you the difference, a lot of wasted tax dollars, and nothing else.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 05-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM

But then maybe you guys don't see the value in keeping emergency services frequencies clear of interference.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
I'm talking from my own experience here guys. If they don't regulate, and they don't enforce, what do they do?
If the FCC isn't enforcing, who is?
What's the difference between letting private industry run amok, and having a government agency that let's it run amok? I'll tell you the difference, a lot of wasted tax dollars, and nothing else.
So, you are all for letting private industry run amuck? Just wait'll they open up a strip mine down the bock from your house. Just one complaining doesn't make a pattern although I submit a little history lesson for ya in the next paragraph. that might 'splain it.

Courtesy of Saint Ronnie and their ilk. Those assholes just furloughed anyone that wouldn't play ball in their righteous quest to starve the beast. Since they couldn't just up and abolish whatever got in the way of their pimps stealing and plundering, they simply fired the employees tasked with regulating and enforcing the law.
You've failed once again with a one dimensional argument.
I've got a lefty movie for you, if you dare, it's called Silver City.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
So, you are all for letting private industry run amuck?
I don't believe that's what I said. Let me check... nope, that's not what I said. I'm pretty sure you can go back and read what I said too, so why do you intentionally twist people's words when anyone can go right back and see what the poster said?

My suggestion was that we dismantle the FCC, as it apparently isn't doing jack doodly squat. Then perhaps if we could get the GSA out of the nightclub, they could write a RFQ (full open bid, for U.S. based companies only) for a private contractor to patrol the spectrum and seek out bandits. You'd have hundreds of bidders, and could award several either regional or bandwidth divided contracts and then reward the best performers with additional territory.
I just think it makes more sense than paying people to do nothing.