Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Rather, I think the question being asked is: Was the medicine worse than the disease? Frankly, I think we're seeing much the same thing today. Business owners that I speak to are as much worried about what the government might do as they are planning and executing their business plan.

Just one case in point - the lack of certainly that is being created by the lack of clarity about whether or not the "Bush tax cuts" will be allowed to expire. Whether or not one agrees or disagrees with continuing the status quo, the president's advisers are begging him to let them expire. At the same time, the President and key Democrats are sending mixed signals about whether or not they will expire, or possibly be modified in some manner. This is creating a level of paralysis in the marketplace.

I often hear and read things like this. All my years have taught me that as with numbers a case can be put forward to rationalize any agenda.
In other words, more hooey.

Why not just assume the law will be followed and this gift to the rich will expire as is long overdue?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I often hear and read things like this. All my years have taught me that as with numbers a case can be put forward to rationalize any agenda.

Why not just assume the law will be followed and this gift to the rich will expire as is long overdue?
As easy and gratifying as it may be, I'm not sure it's fully rational to criticize business for sitting on its hands given all the uncertainties in the marketplace and the political arena.

In a micro sense, if you had $10,000 cash under your mattress, is today the right time to put it in the American stock market? Damned if I know, but I'd be pretty nervous about doing so.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post

You must have heard - "Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure."

I have to wonder about those Masters of the Universe up at Wall Street. Everybody panicked because housing sales dropped, what in hell did they expect?

First the tax break moved a lot of buyers to June that might have been planning on waiting. Plus the tax break moved big ticket item sales as well, new house new appliances needed.

CEOs are sitting on a hoard of cash because they feel uncertainty, do they expect potential home buyers to act and differently? Even if you have a job, are you really sure it will be there next month, so you are supposed to rush right out and buy a home.

Whoever the colossal jackass who dreamt up quarterly reporting should have been taken back of the barn and soundly beaten.

Dumpkoffs abound.