Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
He probably "knew too much" about something? Would this surprise you?

Dave

No it wouldn't. A few years back we had something over here regarding Dr. David Kelly; a whistle blower who threatened the credibility of Saint Tony. Alleged suicide and botched cover-up. I wonder. Are the people who do this genuinely incompetent, or deliberately sending messages to anyone else thinking of rocking the boat?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
No it wouldn't. A few years back we had something over here regarding Dr. David Kelly; a whistle blower who threatened the credibility of Saint Tony. Alleged suicide and botched cover-up. I wonder. Are the people who do this genuinely incompetent, or deliberately sending messages to anyone else thinking of rocking the boat?
Ask Vladimir Putin. I think he knows the answer to such questions.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Tesla was a genius, and one of the very who understood the theory of electricity. I've asked several electrical engineers to explain AC current to me, and all I've ever received was the "delta" "y" textbook answer. In other words, they understood the textbook, but the had no idea of the theory on which it was based.

Not only did Tesla understand how it worked, he invented it. He was also big into wireless transmission of energy. Among other things.

A remarkable individual, and one who had forgotten more than either Edison or Westinghouse had ever suspected.

Except about making a buck.

Chas
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, we heard about Dr. Kelly over here, or at least our "Left Media" covered it. The mainstream "news" outlets didn't. I think the "botched" cover-up was a message.

John
Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Tesla was a genius, and one of the very who understood the theory of electricity. I've asked several electrical engineers to explain AC current to me, and all I've ever received was the "delta" "y" textbook answer. In other words, they understood the textbook, but the had no idea of the theory on which it was based.

Not only did Tesla understand how it worked, he invented it. He was also big into wireless transmission of energy. Among other things.

A remarkable individual, and one who had forgotten more than either Edison or Westinghouse had ever suspected.

Except about making a buck.

Chas
It sounds like you understand it Chas. What would your description be? And no, I'm not yanking your chain. Inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
He was also big into wireless transmission of energy.
Wasn't this his big project just before his death?

We will have this one day I am sure.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
genuinely incompetent
Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It sounds like you understand it Chas. What would your description be? And no, I'm not yanking your chain. Inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

D-Ray
No Don, I don't understand it. I'm probably not intelligent enough to understand the theory, then again, I've never met anyone who could explain it as to where it made sense.

I'm a rafter and stair man, and I do understand the theory to that. Basically.

It's all based on the square root. If you go circular, you need to figure in degrees and ellipeses, which is pretty simple, if you have any understanding of the theory.

Ain't like I figgered it out on my own!!!

I highly recommend "The Steel Square" by Fred Hodgson...a master who could explain the theory to a novice. Long out of print. That's how I learned. Also enabled me to do calcaluctions which weren't in the rafter book...the Bible for most carpenters.

Basically, I'm a jack of all trades, other than I can cut a mean roof, with a 20 year old Sharp pocket calculator. Besides, I can look at a pile of shit which has been added onto three times and design a roofline which makes it like it was designed that way.

Please excuse me, I'm tooting my own horn. And I'm good and drunk. And my buddy stopped by because his air squezzer in his pickup wasn't working, thought it needed freon, a common misconception.

Well, he was right, other than he had electrical and computer problems as well. My Robinaire manifold guages are so old that I had to work on them to start with, basically did the recharge by feel...bottom line he left with his squezzer blowing cold air in his face.

Kinda proud of myself, considering I fixed multible problems while slam dunking whiskey at the same time.

Like I said, jack of trades, master or none.

Chas
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No Don, I don't understand it. I'm probably not intelligent enough to understand the theory, then again, I've never met anyone who could explain it as to where it made sense.

I'm a rafter and stair man, and I do understand the theory to that. Basically.

It's all based on the square root. If you go circular, you need to figure in degrees and ellipeses, which is pretty simple, if you have any understanding of the theory.

Ain't like I figgered it out on my own!!!

I highly recommend "The Steel Square" by Fred Hodgson...a master who could explain the theory to a novice. Long out of print. That's how I learned. Also enabled me to do calcaluctions which weren't in the rafter book...the Bible for most carpenters.

Basically, I'm a jack of all trades, other than I can cut a mean roof, with a 20 year old Sharp pocket calculator. Besides, I can look at a pile of shit which has been added onto three times and design a roofline which makes it like it was designed that way.

Please excuse me, I'm tooting my own horn. And I'm good and drunk. And my buddy stopped by because his air squezzer in his pickup wasn't working, thought it needed freon, a common misconception.

Well, he was right, other than he had electrical and computer problems as well. My Robinaire manifold guages are so old that I had to work on them to start with, basically did the recharge by feel...bottom line he left with his squezzer blowing cold air in his face.

Kinda proud of myself, considering I fixed multible problems while slam dunking whiskey at the same time.

Like I said, jack of trades, master or none.

Chas
People (Like us, Chas.) who can fix shit, even under the influence, are special creatures indeedy............

Dave
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
People (Like us, Chas.) who can fix shit, even under the influence, are special creatures indeedy............

Dave
I'll second (or third) that motion. My dad was a tinkerer; he kept our cars
running and built my first bicycle out of spare parts. I wish I had paid better
attention. I have the inclination to want to fix things, and I can fix a few,
but lack the knowledge base to do it well.

I really do respect people who can listen to something, watch how it is
acting and diagnose what is wrong with it. I'll stay off of my diatribe against
our throw away society for now, but I do foresee a time when we no longer
have the resources to make disposable junk. When that time comes, folks
like you will be in even greater demand.

Regards,

D-Ray