Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

One of the reasons why we left thr church and keep our christisnity by ourselves. I got thinking on this yesterday due to some comments made earlier.

I probably had ancestors burned at the stake (I must have come by my ornery caharacter from someone) by The Inquisition, or killed by the Puritans, yet I don't hate either the Puritans or the RC church, or Spanish people. Just as well because Florence has Spanish blood as well as Italian and French. Heck I probably have some French blood as there was a grandmother Auger - we pronounced it like the drilling tool but it is a French name usually pronounced Oh Zhay. No idea when they emigrated from France to England, probably around 1066 or shortly after.

However, some religious people seem unable to forget past transgressions by other religious people and it strikes me the Organized Churches do little to stop that, some even fan the flames. I use church here merely to indicate the structure, it could just as easy be temple or mosque.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

However, some religious people seem unable to forget past transgressions by other religious people and it strikes me the Organized Churches do little to stop that, some even fan the flames. I use church here merely to indicate the structure, it could just as easy be temple or mosque.
I think being obsessive with history is one of the most pervasive destructive things around. People view the present in terms of old wrongs and seem to pass their grudges as far up the line as they can.

"The sins of the father" and all that jazz. What foul tempered evil minded deity would punish a child for something done by its great great great great great Grandfather? More to the point, what sick turd would stand in the pulpit and try to teach it?

Sorry, it's been a grouchy day...............
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Loyal Opposition

I have always believed in a God wise enough to understand all of the different ways people seek Him, no matter what language they use, what name they have for Him, or where on earth (or otherwise) they seek Him. There is no secret handshake necessary to travel through the pearly gates.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
I think being obsessive with history is one of the most pervasive destructive things around. People view the present in terms of old wrongs and seem to pass their grudges as far up the line as they can.

"The sins of the father" and all that jazz. What foul tempered evil minded deity would punish a child for something done by its great great great great great Grandfather? More to the point, what sick turd would stand in the pulpit and try to teach it?

Sorry, it's been a grouchy day...............
I recall one time with my former MIL who was of Irish extraction, we were watching a CBC documentary about the Easter Rebellion. She turned on me and said "You British did .. . ."

I had to wait until she stopped and looked her in the eye and said "Ma, don't blame me, I was not there." My ancestors were by no means perfect, but there were some brilliant and honorable ones as well. I take no false pride in the good they did, nor do I accept blame for their sins. I have quite enough of my own to answer for, thank you very much.

As a family historian I know a great deal about my ancestry and I also know that there is no such thing as an empty closet. They all have the odd skeleton rattling about in them somewhere.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have always believed in a God wise enough to understand all of the different ways people seek Him, no matter what language they use, what name they have for Him, or where on earth (or otherwise) they seek Him. There is no secret handshake necessary to travel through the pearly gates.

Regards,

D-Ray
I recall a sermon delivered by a Franciscan Friar, back when we still attended church.

The gist of it was since we call God our Heavenly Father why would we believe that he would do terrible things to us when we sin. He went on to say that as parents we love our children, and sometimes they disappoint us in their actions. But we do not stop loving them, and if God is so incredibly better than we are, why would he stop loving us?

St.Paul in one of his letters to the christians in Corinth wrote;

"And now abideth three things, Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of them is Love*"

*Charity was a mis-translation by King James' scholars.

And as parents we should not be too hard on ourselves, even God could not get Adam and Eve to behave.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 PM

If one can't differentiate between right and wrong, no amount of church attendance will help.

However, one may be able to draw more sheep to his used car lot.

Chas
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
"And now abideth three things, Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of them is Love*"

*Charity was a mis-translation by King James' scholars.

And as parents we should not be too hard on ourselves, even God could not get Adam and Eve to behave.
You have no idea (well, you probably do) how much grief has been caused by mis-translation. As I understand it, much of the Gospels was written 100 years or so after Christ died. Most of that was based on word of mouth, father to son over several generations. Some of the God-botherers claim the Bible must be accurate because the writers were blessed by God but if this were so, there would be no schism in the Christian faith; no fighting between Protestants and Catholics. Hell, even different branches from the same split tree kill each other.

I don't have any specific religious beliefs Merrylander. There's a strong argument that something goes on after death but when people try to discuss what it is or where it goes, it all bogs down.

Ok, I've read the above again and it's pretty woolly, like my workshop jeans it has a lot of holes in it (have you seen how fast even dilute Sulphuric acid will burn through denim? Add in a bit of Nitric and you're wearing gun cotton. Add just a touch of beer farts from the night before plus a burning cigarette; you'll soon learn all you need to know about the after-life)

Last edited by Combwork; 06-27-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

Combwork I also do not have any definite proof of an afterlife, I just think that what Jesus taught seems a pretty sensible way of running my life - well as best as I am able. No doubt I will find out in a few years.

There was not only mis-translation but direct interference by Emporer Constantine (?) into what parts were to be accepted and what discarded. Yet even today there are those that believe the whole tome was fax'ed down from Heaven.

Never fart near an open flame.

Last edited by merrylander; 06-27-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I finally remembered to ask my dad about the blue laws.

Interesting - he said that, while there certainly was a religious element to them, that back then it was a way to make sure working folks got a day off.

He talked about how when discount stores first tried to open on Sundays the cops would raid the place and throw all the clerks etc in jail

That would be in Chicago btw.

Pete
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Germany had very strict blue laws the entire time I lived there. All stores closed at 6 pm weekday, 2:00 pm on Saturday and all day Sunday. The first Saturday of the month (lange Samstag), the stores stayed open until 6 pm. In the beginning, I thought it was peculiar and inconvenient, but I adjusted and liked it.

AFAIK there was no religious connection. It was strictly for the reason you state, Pete - ensure that folks have evenings and weekends off with their families. I think it has loosened up quite a bit since I left in 1986, for better or worse.

Here some more info on how it has progressed since:
http://www.german-way.com/shophrs.html

Last edited by finnbow; 07-23-2010 at 03:03 PM.