Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Yes and I did get heavily into Fortran programming in grad school.

BTW, I met my wife in the Fortran introductory course who at the time was a math major. She dropped out like most non-engineering & CS students and switched her major to history. Maybe I should ask her why!
I met a very attractive blonde in 86 who was an EE at TI. I remember being at a party and watching her matter-of-factly explain why there weren't more female engineers. The fun began when she finished.

Last edited by nailer; 03-05-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Why does someone need a university education in physics, chemistry and math for data processing? I don't recall courses for data processing in the engineering curriculum.

I am speaking from personal experience. There were little to no women in the engineering department when I went to school here in the 70's and I have said I don't know why. You will need to ask the parents. My niece is a degree'd engineer and believe me, she is a rarity.
I didn't, I only completed the tenth grade, bumped into my home room teacher and he asked why I did not come back because I had led the class in the finals. Really simple, no money for university and few if any scholarships, so I went to work to help with family expenses. Many of my coworkers were degree'd but all I did was write their test and ace'd it.

Some years later the IEEE invited me to join as a full member, they said it was based on my contributions to the discipline.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.