Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Nice try at spin doctoring Ice, but you're not going to get away with it as long as I am around.

44% approve of Obamacare, 51% disapprove.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195383/am...itive-aca.aspx
While people do indeed express dissatisfaction with Obamacare, people also overwhelmingly support most of its key features.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
While people do indeed express dissatisfaction with Obamacare, people also overwhelmingly support most of its key features.
You're making quite a stretch when you say "overwhelmingly support most of its key features.".

All you can get from the poll that ICE linked to is "support for some of it's features".

Hell, I even support some of it. like the pre-existing conditions part, the elimination of lifetime caps on payouts and keeping your kids on till 26, and I hate the law. Ice is trying to imply that everyone outside of the 26% that want the entire thing repealed like the law, and that is just not true. Only 19% say keep it as is. That means 81% want it either changed or scraped.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
You're making quite a stretch when you say "overwhelmingly support most of its key features.".

All you can get from the poll that ICE linked to is "support for some of it's features".

Hell, I even support some of it. like the pre-existing conditions part, the elimination of lifetime caps on payouts and keeping your kids on till 26, and I hate the law. Ice is trying to imply that everyone outside of the 26% that want the entire thing repealed like the law, and that is just not true. Only 19% say keep it as is. That means 81% want it either changed or scraped.
I believe that, but they want the changed scheme to include a number of key Obamacare provisions, including those you mentioned.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I believe that, but they want the changed scheme to include a number of key Obamacare provisions, including those you mentioned.
Yes and those key things that people want to retain cannot be retained without the individual mandate staying in place. You cannot keep the law unless you improve upon it. The parts people hate because of whatever reason cannot be removed since it would destroy all good things people like, such as the rule against denying insurance to people with illnesses.

It is just laughable that the OP thinks there is a big revolution that is going to bring about single payer, which like the ACA will have to be paid for in some manner. And it shows a deranged mind that would wish sick people be thrown off of insurance during some sort of
insurance-less purgatory period before the second (make that first) coming of single-payer.

If they ditch ACA America will be like it was before with millions not covered. But worse off.

From what I can see it looks like Trump is picking a right-wing cabinet with some pretty reactionary members. I don't see any populists going to the West Wing.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
It is just laughable that the OP thinks there is a big revolution that is going to bring about single payer, which like the ACA will have to be paid for in some manner.
Tell you what, you raise my taxes by $10,000 a year to pay for ACA and cancel my worthless insurance plan. That is what I pay for my insurance premium now, in addition to our of pocket co-pays. If I wil be able to see a doctor more than once a year then it'll be worth it. As it is now, I get one "physical" a year (and it has to be coded as a planned physical), and have to pay $500.00 per visit "copay" for all other doctor visits, like when I get sick and really need to see a doctor.

The US health care system sucks donkey dicks. It's designed solely to make rich people richer. Healing doesn't even enter into the picture. It's the embarrassment of the world.

Last edited by MrPots; 12-09-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Yes and those key things that people want to retain cannot be retained without the individual mandate staying in place.
The individual mandate is proof that Obamacare sucks.

If it didn't suck you wouldn't need a mandate.

Is there a mandate that you have to sign up for Medicare?

Hell no.

Do the Canadians or the Brits need a mandate, or any of the other countries that have single payer need a mandate?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
The individual mandate is proof that Obamacare sucks.

If it didn't suck you wouldn't need a mandate.

Is there a mandate that you have to sign up for Medicare?

Hell no.

Do the Canadians or the Brits need a mandate, or any of the other countries that have single payer need a mandate?
A false equivalency here. Those who are medicare eligible are of an age where they are well aware of their mortality and the need for health care coverage. The young people to whom the mandate is likely to apply are, in their minds, invincible, and in no need of medical care.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
A false equivalency here. Those who are medicare eligible are of an age where they are well aware of their mortality and the need for health care coverage. The young people to whom the mandate is likely to apply are, in their minds, invincible, and in no need of medical care.

That might be enough of a factor to reduce the sign up rate from 99% to 95%.

But the truth is Medicare is an awesome deal even at $134 a month which is the part B premium for 2017. The overwhelming majority would jump at that chance.

That's because 75% of the premium is taxpayer funded. If it were up to me it would be 100% funded. We could easily do that if we quit fighting foreign wars that we have no goddamned business starting or getting into.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 12-11-2016 at 08:19 AM.