Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Area Man

Troublesome relatives.............................

I love my sister, but when is she going to get her s**t together?

This goes back about fifteen years, so I'll spare you all of that history. I will mention that back then she had a good, high paying job as a project manager for a large corporation that installed internal communication systems in large buildings, computer and phone networks, etc. She was in charge of the install at Norfolk, Virginias "Dominion Tower" for example. Then one fine day she tells me; "I don't care about money, I just can't take the stress anymore." and quit her job. Well, not just her job, but left the industry all together.

Fast forward over a WHOLE LOT OF BULLSHIT to today;

Since then she has bounced from one low paying bonehead job to the next, quitting whenever people "get on my nerves". Last year there was a ray of hope. She took a materials manager job with a local landscaping contractor. Well, a month ago, she started complaining about what an asshole the boss was and said that she needed to make more money. So she takes a part time job at Home Depot. Thursday, she comes over, tells me she quit the full time job and now she's broke again because, "Home Depot only pays $9 an hour and I'm only getting 32 hours a week...........BTW, can I get $40 for gas?" (Which I refused, BTW.)

Do you have any idea how aggravating, no, make that infuriating it is to have someone keep doing this, over and over again? Constantly quitting jobs, going broke, moving, mooching off of family and friends, always needy, needy, needy........

I'm sick of it. My family is sick of it. And what few friends she has left are sick of it too. She is MORE than intelligent enough to do better. I want to tell her to get lost.....But....she's family. If she were anything else I would have told her to f**k off years ago. Some of her life long friends have.

I don't know what to do. We've talked about it in the past, and she promises that she'll get herself straight, but a few months or a year later.............

She's taking me out to dinner tonight. Which raises two questions;

1). Where in the hell did THAT money come from?
2). What is she buttering me up for now?

Frustrated in the Swamp,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:20 AM

My family, what's left of them, aren't too bad.

Now I could tell inlaw stories all day long, but I'm in a fairly good mood and don't want to ruin it.

Chas
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Loyal Opposition

Dave, were you as industrious as you are now before you went into the military? It sounds like your sister has a problem with discipline. She can't discipline herself to get through the rough spots, or to complete things that she finds distasteful. This comes from a world class procrastinator who has paid the price a time or two for his own lack of discipline. You are obviously disciplined enough to take the steps to change your circumstances. You have mentioned the steps you went through to update your skills when the job market changed. Any way you can convince sis to go to boot camp?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Area Man

She is an eight year Navy veteran. Besides, she turns 56 in August. I don't know what happened to her. As I stated she USED to have herself squared away.......That's what makes it so bad.

Dave
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

Being the youngest in the family and near 80 I'm just lucky my sister is alive at 86 and my brother has Alzheimers and would not know me even if I went up to Toronto. So I don't have family problems other than our ditzy daughter-in-law (well the divorce went final on the 2nd so I guess she is not our DIL any more). Now all I am praying is that she finally tires of "motherhood" and our son get full custody of the girls, they would also prefer that.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Being the youngest in the family and near 80 I'm just lucky my sister is alive at 86 and my brother has Alzheimers and would not know me even if I went up to Toronto. So I don't have family problems other than our ditzy daughter-in-law (well the divorce went final on the 2nd so I guess she is not our DIL any more). Now all I am praying is that she finally tires of "motherhood" and our son get full custody of the girls, they would also prefer that.
So sorry to hear of your brother, my father has the same disease.

BTW, wanna trade for a son-in-law? Great chance to bone up on your profanity!!!

Chas
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Loyal Opposition

Time count my blessings again. No in-laws yet, but we love the girl our son loves. She has a good head on her shoulders, she's responsible, she's nurturing, and she has tremendous composure. The first time she met us was a few years ago after my mother had died. My four brothers were at my house, as was the pastor. She was not at all intimidated by the situation. She gave my wife a big hug right off the bat, and charmed my wife and sisters-in-law while we helped plan the service. I know all of us show our warts as life goes on, but we learn to live with those.

Regards,

D-Ray