Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Loyal Opposition

How do we raise the level of discourse?

One thing that I have really enjoyed about this site is the way we let our personalities spill over our politics most of the time. We really do find a lot of common ground. Two Dogs and I occupy spots on the political spectrum about as far apart as you could expect to find. Yet last weekend, he was a terrific host for an audio get together. We had agreed in advance to leave politics out of the Twangfest. As it turned out, we both disagreed with something said on Fox about unions.

Other people on this site often look for things that we have in common - particularly a sense of humor. Several here have bristled at any attempt to fit them into any particular political mold, although some of us revel in our left or right leanings. Overriding that, though is the general level of respect and concern for each other that is shown. One example is the post wondering where Rob has been. Similar posts have arisen about several other contributors here. Anyone who experiences a loss, a struggle, or a milestone can share it with others with no concern for where he or she might be on the political landscape.

Compare that to what is going on in "real" politics. One of the most conservative members of the GOP, which is really saying something, got a lot of heat because he said that Nancy Pelosi was a nice lady. The more visible one is in politics, the more likely we (as a nation and often here, as well) are to react negatively toward them because of their politics. Examples include the less than hearty congratulations passed on to Rush about his new marriage; the caricature many paint of Barak Obama and Nancy Pelosi and Jim DeMint and Sarah Palin, and downright celebration of misfortune experienced by people on the "wrong" side of the issues.

Why can't the public at large see these people as people with real life concerns, the way we see each other here? Have the pols invited that perception by assuming a public persona that is artificial? Is it because they refuse to allow themselves to be seen as "normal?" Even the anomaly that occurred in South Carolina senatorial primary is assumed to be the result of dirty tricks. (It might turn out to be true, but I think we would be disappointed if it weren't) Do we actually reward politicians who regard one in the opposing party as not only a political opponent, but also as their enemy?

Sorry for the rambling, but I wonder if it is possible to take the hatefulness out of politics - to reward those who favor reason over dogma. Can we get past the sound-bites and on to the discussions? Any brilliant ideas bubbling about in all of the brain power out there?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Nothing to it, just be thoughtful and polite.

Chas
Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

I think the problem might be the media, that was why Campbell Brown left CNN. She said that there was no room for centrist viewpoints in the 8:00 PM time slot. She stuck to her guns and left rather than become a ratings sideshow like FOX and MSNBC.

There is no room any more for middle of the road, not unless you want to get run over. It is ratings, ratings, ratings and to hell with the nation.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
One thing that I have really enjoyed about this site is the way we let our personalities spill over our politics most of the time. We really do find a lot of common ground. Two Dogs and I occupy spots on the political spectrum about as far apart as you could expect to find. Yet last weekend, he was a terrific host for an audio get together. We had agreed in advance to leave politics out of the Twangfest. As it turned out, we both disagreed with something said on Fox about unions.

Other people on this site often look for things that we have in common - particularly a sense of humor. Several here have bristled at any attempt to fit them into any particular political mold, although some of us revel in our left or right leanings. Overriding that, though is the general level of respect and concern for each other that is shown. One example is the post wondering where Rob has been. Similar posts have arisen about several other contributors here. Anyone who experiences a loss, a struggle, or a milestone can share it with others with no concern for where he or she might be on the political landscape.

Compare that to what is going on in "real" politics. One of the most conservative members of the GOP, which is really saying something, got a lot of heat because he said that Nancy Pelosi was a nice lady. The more visible one is in politics, the more likely we (as a nation and often here, as well) are to react negatively toward them because of their politics. Examples include the less than hearty congratulations passed on to Rush about his new marriage; the caricature many paint of Barak Obama and Nancy Pelosi and Jim DeMint and Sarah Palin, and downright celebration of misfortune experienced by people on the "wrong" side of the issues.

Why can't the public at large see these people as people with real life concerns, the way we see each other here? Have the pols invited that perception by assuming a public persona that is artificial? Is it because they refuse to allow themselves to be seen as "normal?" Even the anomaly that occurred in South Carolina senatorial primary is assumed to be the result of dirty tricks. (It might turn out to be true, but I think we would be disappointed if it weren't) Do we actually reward politicians who regard one in the opposing party as not only a political opponent, but also as their enemy?

Sorry for the rambling, but I wonder if it is possible to take the hatefulness out of politics - to reward those who favor reason over dogma. Can we get past the sound-bites and on to the discussions? Any brilliant ideas bubbling about in all of the brain power out there?

Regards,

D-Ray
I think it's because people here think. They might get the occasional brickbat but in most cases it gets thrown back without petty name calling. Another thought is that no-one on here gets paid, 'real' politicians do. Maybe that's why they play to their own political groups. Whoever pays the piper?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Area Man

Guilty as charged.

I'll try to be nicer.....well, towards everyone except Palin. She really is the biggest ditz on the planet.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Guilty as charged.

I'll try to be nicer.....well, towards everyone except Palin. She really is the biggest ditz on the planet.

Regards,
Dave
Have you checked out her new tits???

Chas
Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have you checked out her new tits???

Chas

Okay, so now she's an even bigger Ditz.

Dave