Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Carling was a national brand with a brewery in Baltimore County. Can't count the number of times we drove by it on visits to my cousins on the Magothy. Not a Baltimore beer from this native's perspective. Baltimore's local brew scene has been excellent since the early 90s, if not earlier.
Carling is actually a Canadian company, owned by another Canadian company, Molson.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Carling is actually a Canadian company, owned by another Canadian company, Molson.
Thank you I was beginning to wonder.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Actually, I didn't say Carling was an American company. However Carling products were brewed and sold in America by American companies:

United States

After the repeal of prohibition in 1933, the Peerless Motor Car Company, looking for a way to diversify in the poor car market of the depression, purchased the American rights to Carling's formulas, identifying labels, and trademarks. Technicians and brewmasters were sent from Canada to convert a Peerless plant in Cleveland, Ohio, into the Brewing Corporation of America. They first tried just brewing Carling's Red Cap Ale, but sales were too slow to maintain the brewery, and sales didn't climb until the introduction of Black Label lager. The philosophy behind Black Label was to have a high quality lager that was available nationwide but with a locally brewed budget price. The strategy worked, and the next several decades led to rapid growth and expansion for the brewery and the Carling Black Label brand.[2]

When Carling stopped producing Black Label to focus on a more profitable lager, they found their sales plummeting. Carling re-introduced Black Label with a beautiful blonde named Mabel, portrayed by Jeanne Goodspeed, with the slogan "Hey Mabel, Black Label!". The twenty-year marketing campaign cemented the name in the popular culture of America.

In 1979, after several years of intense pressure from the larger American Brewers Miller and Anheuser-Busch, Carling-National was bought out by the Heileman Brewing Co. of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Carling and the Black Label brand are currently owned by the Molson Coors Brewing Company. Though no longer widely distributed in the U.S., Black Label remains the official beer of Beer Frisbee.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_Black_Label

Last edited by nailer; 07-23-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:00 PM

While we are doing local beer:
http://m.cityweekly.net/utah/utah-br...nt?oid=2157612

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
In 1979, after several years of intense pressure from the larger American Brewers Miller and Anheuser-Busch, Carling-National was bought out by the Heileman Brewing Co. of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Carling and the Black Label brand are currently owned by the Molson Coors Brewing Company. Though no longer widely distributed in the U.S., Black Label remains the official beer of Beer Frisbee.[2][/I] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_Black_Label
Carling-National was the child of Mr. Boh and Mabel. Heileman, and with it Carling-National, was sold to Stroh's who in turn sold it to Pabst. Somewhere along the way, Carling must have been sold back to Canada or killed as a US brand.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
While we are doing local beer:
http://m.cityweekly.net/utah/utah-br...nt?oid=2157612

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I was hoping someone would start mentioning some old local beers from the time when every big city had their own breweries, ones like Iron City or Genesee, both of which are still going and both are still locally owned.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I was hoping someone would start mentioning some old local beers from the time when every big city had their own breweries, ones like Iron City or Genesee, both of which are still going and both are still locally owned.
Dixie Beer, New Orleans. Rotgut swill, but beloved and lovingly ridiculed. Katrina trashed the brewery and it's now contract brewed.

When talking locally brewed, family-owned beers, here's the grand-daddy of them all.

Last edited by finnbow; 07-23-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Dixie Beer, New Orleans. Rotgut swill, but beloved and lovingly ridiculed. Katrina trashed the brewery and it's now contract brewed.
Just like "Natty Boh", owned by Pabst but brewed under contract by Miller-Coors.

Quote:
When talking locally brewed, family-owned beers, here's the grand-daddy of them all.
I forgot Yuengling. Another Pittsburgh beer, as I recall.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Just like "Natty Boh", owned by Pabst but brewed under contract by Miller-Coors.
Dixie (or the skeletal remains thereof) is privately owned by Joe and Kendra Bruno who bought the struggling company in 1985. I remember when I lived in NOLA (75-78), Dixie put out a bad batch of beer (it got exposed to floor cleaning chemicals) and suffered a lot of bad publicity. As a result, it sent beer trucks out through the neighborhoods of New Orleans giving away free beer. It's now brewed by Huber Brewery in Monroe, WI.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21872115/n...ck-dixie-beer/

Quote:
I forgot Yuengling. Another Pittsburgh beer, as I recall.
Yuengling is from Pottsville, near Allentown. Rolling Rock used to be another, but it has sold out and is no longer brewed in "the glass line tanks in Latrobe, PA," but in Newark by InBev.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yuengling is from Pottsville, near Allentown. Rolling Rock used to be another, but it has sold out and is no longer brewed in "the glass line tanks in Latrobe, PA," but in Newark by InBev.
Pottsville! That's right. At least I got the state right. I used to look down on the majestic skyline of Pottsville from the lofty heights of Hawk Mountain, where I used to do the raptor census during Fall migration.