Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:27 PM
finnbow's Avatar
finnbow finnbow is offline
Reformed Know-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 21,961
Maybe this will be enough to get the GOP pissed at Russian hackers

Even though the GOP is in denial about Russia monkeying around in our elections, it ends up the very same Russians who diddled in our election posed as ISIS and threatened military wives.

"We know everything about you, your husband and your children," the Facebook message continued, claiming that the hackers operating under the flag of Islamic State militants had penetrated her computer and her phone. "We're much closer than you can even imagine."

Ricketts was one of five military wives who received death threats from the self-styled CyberCaliphate on the morning of Feb. 10, 2015. The warnings led to days of anguished media coverage of Islamic State militants' online reach.

Except it wasn't IS.

The Associated Press has found evidence that the women were targeted not by jihadists but by the same Russian hacking group that intervened in the American election and exposed the emails of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta.


https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...s-spouses.html
__________________
As long as the roots are not severed, all will be well in the garden.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:32 PM
whell's Avatar
whell whell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 11,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Even though the GOP is in denial about Russia monkeying around in our elections, it ends up the very same Russians who diddled in our election posed as ISIS and threatened military wives.

"We know everything about you, your husband and your children," the Facebook message continued, claiming that the hackers operating under the flag of Islamic State militants had penetrated her computer and her phone. "We're much closer than you can even imagine."

Ricketts was one of five military wives who received death threats from the self-styled CyberCaliphate on the morning of Feb. 10, 2015. The warnings led to days of anguished media coverage of Islamic State militants' online reach.

Except it wasn't IS.

The Associated Press has found evidence that the women were targeted not by jihadists but by the same Russian hacking group that intervened in the American election and exposed the emails of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta.


https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...s-spouses.html
First of all, this report doesn't appear to be conclusive, and appears to be based on the AP story:

The Associated Press has found evidence that the women were targeted not by jihadists but by the same Russian hacking group that intervened in the American election and exposed the emails of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta.

I don't see anywhere in this story that AP's claims have been corroborated or are being investigated by law enforcement.

The AP evidence might be legit. If it is legit, then it needs to be investigated by law enforcement. Making threats over the internet is illegal, at least in the US.

If it is one coming from one of the Russian troll farms, good luck prosecuting it. I'd be surprised if the Russian gov't would be cooperative.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Chicks Chicks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The AP evidence might be legit. If it is legit, then it needs to be investigated by law enforcement. Making threats over the internet is illegal, at least in the US.
Hey, maybe we can get Devin Nunes to investigate!

Quote:
If it is one coming from one of the Russian troll farms, good luck prosecuting it. I'd be surprised if the Russian gov't would be cooperative.
So, let’s be Repubes, throw up our hands, pretend it didn’t happen, or that they will be good and not do it again. Great plan!
__________________
"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM
finnbow's Avatar
finnbow finnbow is offline
Reformed Know-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 21,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I don't see anywhere in this story that AP's claims have been corroborated or are being investigated by law enforcement...
Maybe Fox News can investigate it like they did the Seth Rich murder and concoct some fantasy that conservatives will get outraged over.

Quote:
If it is one coming from one of the Russian troll farms, good luck prosecuting it. I'd be surprised if the Russian gov't would be cooperative.
You mean like they're also not cooperating in the Mueller probe by not serving the court summons from Mueller to the indicted (and very same) troll farm working for Russian intelligence that reportedly did this?
__________________
As long as the roots are not severed, all will be well in the garden.

Last edited by finnbow; 05-09-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Rajoo's Avatar
Rajoo Rajoo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 11,313
If I don't believe a news report, it did not happen, right?
Even Reagan the original con artist said "trust but verify".
__________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”― George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2018, 01:13 AM
BlueStreak's Avatar
BlueStreak BlueStreak is offline
Area Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 26,946
The Republicans deny Russian collusion because this time it worked in their favor. Let it work in favor of the Dems one time and watch the short-sighted dimwits have a cow.......
__________________
"When the lie is so big and the fog so thick, the Republican trick can play out again....."-------Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 AM
whell's Avatar
whell whell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 11,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Maybe Fox News can investigate it like they did the Seth Rich murder and concoct some fantasy that conservatives will get outraged over.

You mean like they're also not cooperating in the Mueller probe by not serving the court summons from Mueller to the indicted (and very same) troll farm working for Russian intelligence that reportedly did this?
The "Russian Collusion" story IS the equivalent of Seth Rich to folks like you.

Yeah, exactly like that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 AM
finnbow's Avatar
finnbow finnbow is offline
Reformed Know-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 21,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The "Russian Collusion" story IS the equivalent of Seth Rich to folks like you.
Except that there are mountains of evidence supporting the former and absolutely zero evidence supporting the latter.
__________________
As long as the roots are not severed, all will be well in the garden.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.