Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well I have news for y'all, Monday and Tuesday were errand days, bank, grocery store, opthalmologist, so with the latter the designated driver is the one not having the eye exam. They are building McMansions left, right and center. We saw two new sites starting the bulldozing and road making process. One site that started a year and a half back has a sign saying it was already 50% sold. Somebody is buying these McMansions. I really like to see it because the new process is to provide common septic and drainfield so they put the houses on one acre lots. This simply drives up the price of our 4-1/2 acres. After all there is really no value in having a 6000 sq ft house cheek by jowl with its neighbour. The county currently has us at $653,900 and when the 475 sq ft playroom is finished that will go over $700,000

Last edited by merrylander; 11-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Nice Rob!

There's a new development behind me with McMansions. Right before the crash they put in the last road, it's been empty. I figure that when they start building on it we've seen the worst of it here.

I agree, why would someone build a beautiful house on a tiny lot. I'd rather have a smaller house on a larger lot. Maybe a nice barn. Neighbors, I hate them

Blue, how do you legislate those things?

Pete
Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Another piece of encouraging news, I can't find the article online but the big railroads are booming. Hiring even.

Pete
Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Resident octogenarian

The other aspect of this communal septic tank.drainfield and one acre lots is care. The city folk buying these McMansions don't know from septic and dump every thing in them. The group up the road had the system back up - phew. One of the locals hit a skunk last night - right across the road from the end of our driveway - phew indeed.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That's everywhere, Pete.

Just over the weekend we fired one for "texting" on the production floor, two for being drunk on the job, and one for doing serious damage to a vital piece of equipment with his forklift, just being a jackass.

Dave
Whereupon the terminated employees immediately left the building, went home, called in their unemployment claims (which they will likely receive), donned their protest gear (consisting of week old underwear, dirty shirt and jeans, and yesterday's socks) and went to join their brethren at the local Occupy rally.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Whereupon the terminated employees immediately left the building, went home, called in their unemployment claims (which they will likely receive), donned their protest gear (consisting of week old underwear, dirty shirt and jeans, and yesterday's socks) and went to join their brethren at the local Occupy rally.
Under most state laws, none of the mentioned employees would likely qualify for unemployment, as drunkenness and horseplay would likely be considered "serious misconduct." If there was a rule against use of personal telephones on the floor, I would expect that the one fired for texting would also be denied benefits.

I expect that most of the folks involved in the OWS movement have more serious concerns and are likely more responsible than someone who gets fired for showing up to work drunk. In fact, the statistics showed that the vast majority of the protesters were employed. They are just sick and tired of seeing the work they do devalued while the parasites on wall street get richer.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Under most state laws, none of the mentioned employees would likely qualify for unemployment, as drunkenness and horseplay would likely be considered "serious misconduct." If there was a rule against use of personal telephones on the floor, I would expect that the one fired for texting would also be denied benefits.
I suspect that they would receive unemployment.

The definition of serious misconduct varies from state to state, but is generally defined as conduct that is "harmful to the interests of the employer, and must be done intentionally or in disregard of the employer's interests." At various levels of the claims and appeal process, the benefits could be denied. However, if the claim gets to an ALJ, all bets are off. I'd suspect that most of the ALJ's that I've seen would not deem texting as misconduct, particularly if there were no prior warnings that such behavior could result in discharge. If there were no warning, and company policy specifically stated that an employee could be terminated for texting, an ALJ might decide that the employer might term an employee for violation of policy, but the violation of policy was not misconduct as defined by the state.

The individual doing damage to equipment would likely be eligible for unemployment, unless the employer could prove that the employee deliberately damaged the equipment. As you're likely aware, in unemployment hearings the employer has the burden of proof to demonstrate why a claim should be denied. The employer would have to have significant proof that the employee's actions were intentional. Not an easy thing to do. So, I strongly believe the claim would be allowed.

Drunkenness? 50/50. Did the employer actually see the employees drinking? Did the employer send the employees for a reasonable - suspicion breathalyzer or blood test? If there isn't proof that the employees were intoxicated, then it comes down to whether their horseplay met the definition of misconduct. Without more facts, and assuming that this employer is like many who terminate but fail to adequately document, the employees have a pretty good chance at a hearing.

Quote:
I expect that most of the folks involved in the OWS movement have more serious concerns and are likely more responsible than someone who gets fired for showing up to work drunk.
Serious concerns like getting laid by their fellow protestors, blocking traffic, or trashing police cars?

Last edited by whell; 11-17-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I suspect that they would receive unemployment.

Not likely in Missouri.

Serious concerns like getting laid by their fellow protestors, blocking traffic, or trashing police cars?
The OWS folks really frighten you, don't they.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Eeek!

Pete
Old 11-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
The OWS folks really frighten you, don't they.

Regards,

D-Ray
Not at all. They're great fun. They serve as great examples of why liberal policies don't work, and they're great poster children for Obama's re-election campaign. I hope they stay around for a very long time.