Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Blue, then the reaction is - hellholes like Detroit or Cleveland? I know what you mean, but it wasn't the wealthy that ruined Cleveland anyway. Heck, just about the only 'good' things here, like the art museum or Severance hall were built and paid for by the wealthy!

Sometimes I visit them and wonder what wealth is like lol.

Rob I was wrong about it being wealth, alone and exclusively. Perhaps success it a better term. And to many wealth is a part of their envisioned success.

Pete
Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Blue, then the reaction is - hellholes like Detroit or Cleveland? I know what you mean, but it wasn't the wealthy that ruined Cleveland anyway. Heck, just about the only 'good' things here, like the art museum or Severance hall were built and paid for by the wealthy!

Sometimes I visit them and wonder what wealth is like lol.

Rob I was wrong about it being wealth, alone and exclusively. Perhaps success it a better term. And to many wealth is a part of their envisioned success.

Pete
Pete, you nailed it this time. Pursuit of wealth for the sake of wealth gets us toxic derivatives. I've seen companies built with pride in craftsmanship begin to fail when the only concern became the profit margin. Isn't the focus on cutting corners to make more money what was, at least in part, responsible for the scourge of BPC?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Pete, you nailed it this time. Pursuit of wealth for the sake of wealth gets us toxic derivatives. I've seen companies built with pride in craftsmanship begin to fail when the only concern became the profit margin. Isn't the focus on cutting corners to make more money what was, at least in part, responsible for the scourge of BPC?

Regards,

D-Ray
Uh......Bingo!

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'd still say most consider wealth the most important thing. People are idiots though, instead of long term stability they kill the golden goose and spend what they have.

Sounds like Washington

Pete
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I'd still say most consider wealth the most important thing. People are idiots though, instead of long term stability they kill the golden goose and spend what they have.

Sounds like Washington

Pete
If you think about it, Pete, what the eternal fight is about is this;

Few people will argue against the idea that there must be some degree of financial incentive, that's not the argument.

The argument lies in what is reasonable incentive, and what actions are acceptable in the pursuit of wealth?

Do you spread the wealth until no one has anything?---Communism.

Or do you allow unchecked concentration of wealth until only a few have it all?---Unregulated Capitalism.

Both run on the same foolish assumptions.....That either powerful governments or powerful corporations will, given the freedom to do as they see fit and out of the goodness of their hearts, see that the average citizen fares well.

Problem is; Power corrupts and most ambitious people seek to advance only themselves.

I'd rather empower the "average citizens" to protect their own interests, and hope that this strikes a sort of balance.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-08-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

Then there was the dimwitted bozo who imposed quarterly reporting, a Wall Streeter's dream come true
Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Both run on the same foolish assumptions.....That either powerful governments or powerful corporations will, given the freedom to do as they see fit and out of the goodness of their hearts, see that the average citizen fares well.

Problem is; Power corrupts and most ambitious people seek to advance only themselves.
Yep. Enlightened self-interest only works to the extent that the people in question are enlightened. I have a hard time buying into the notion that the party who supports unbridled capitalism (the GOP) is enlightened, particularly in light of the clowns they're running for President.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Checks and balances. Monopolies aren't capitalism and capitalism does balance itself. The government should simply referee, but it wants to pick winners and losers. That way it can sell more, and for more money.

Pete
Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Checks and balances. Monopolies aren't capitalism and capitalism does balance itself. The government should simply referee, but it wants to pick winners and losers. That way it can sell more, and for more money.

Pete
Monopolies are the result of unchecked capitalism, and no, capitalism doesn't "balance itself". Never has, never will. This is why T.R.s "anti-trust" crusade became necessary, and will become necessary once again after the tea party goons strike it down. Same goes for many of the labor and environmental laws they have targeted.

Some people never learn. They have to put us through it time and again.
Their trust in human nature is amazingly naive.

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Resident octogenarian

Aw Dave, capitalism does balance itself - like a seesaw - one day you're up one day down, but in balance.