Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I am OK with needing a license and training for gun ownership. I think that is a great idea. You need the same for motor vehicles which kill more people each year than guns do.
That one never gets old, does it?

The intended purpose of an automobile is not to render death and destruction yet that is the precise purpose of a firearm.

John
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM

I just have to wounder how many mothers are looking at the husbands gun collection tonight in Newtown Connecticut.

Then thinking WHY?

Barney
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Here are some facts to chew on with regard to guns and mass shootings in the US:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...united-states/
A comparison of the charts at #5 and #7 is revealing. The chart at #5 shows that the number of "deaths due to assault" began to drop precipitously around 1977. The chart at #7, showing the level of gun ownership in the US, shows a marked decline beginning at precisely the same time.

Now consider the graph at #1. It shows that the number of mass shootings perpetrated with illegally obtained weapons is only about 1/5 the number committed with legally obtained weapons. These facts in combination clearly show that restricting legal gun ownership will reduce the number of "deaths due to assault".

John
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Barney, I imagine there are a few fathers doing the same....
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Barney, I imagine there are a few fathers doing the same....
Can only hope!

Barney
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Please use a little logic, analogies like the automobile one are specious and fallacious to the point of absurdity. No one goes out and runs down masses of people with the intent to harm & kill.
My main intent in the statement was obviously agreeing to that particular form of gun control. The vehicle statement was just a fact, not an anti-gun control argument. Since you feel up to spewing shit tonight, go tell someone not armed with facts. Below are a small handful of many cases of people intentionally committing mass killings with vehicles.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may...al/me-market22

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10837287

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_Hepnarov%C3%A1

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/day-t...tent?oid=20584

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/wo...utch.html?_r=0

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1111114224139
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Area Man

I think my Dodge is psychotic. I know for a fact that it hates Squirrels and on more than one occasion has committed Squirrel-cide. I'm afraid I may have to remove the gas tank and lock it up in the shed, to keep it from going berserk and rampaging through the neighborhood.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 PM
reflexionar

Deciding to kill people when you are drunk is far different than deciding to kill them because you have mental issues. The old man claimed that he tried to brake, but the witnesses told, and the jury saw, a different story. "No one goes out and runs down masses of people with the intent to harm & kill." That was your statement, in context. You are wrong. Country of origin was never even insinuated. I didn't miss the point. You see what you want to see in a simple statement and you don't agree with it so you make it personal against the poster. As I stated in my last post it wasn't an argumentative statement to begin with. Having a conservative gun owner stating, "I am OK with needing a license and training for gun ownership. I think that is a great idea.", should have actually made you feel pretty good, but you had to focus on the last part of the statement like it was intended as some sort of disclaimer.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think my Dodge is psychotic. I know for a fact that it hates Squirrels and on more than one occasion has committed Squirrel-cide. I'm afraid I may have to remove the gas tank and lock it up in the shed, to keep it from going berserk and rampaging through the neighborhood.
I could say the same about my .357 and it would sound almost as asinine.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Area Man

I have no problem with gun ownership as a general concept. But, I do have a problem with NRA folks who block every effort to control what gets distributed into our society and to whom it is distributed.

They claim no further controls are necessary and fight any further advancement. Sometimes they make good talking points in this regard, but it begs the question they never seem to have a sensible answer for;

How's that working out?

I guess they're waiting for someone they love to get killed.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-14-2012 at 09:46 PM.