Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

Cheap Labor

Friday I was visiting with the business manager of one of the local construction unions. One of the local contractors approached him about setting up a production shop (production shops are not subject to the construction CBA, and don't require journeymen workers). This company had entered into a venture with a German company that has a patent on a new type of product. The companies were looking for a low-ball deal in which they would not even offer retirement benefits, and lower wages than most of the production shops around.

I mentioned that Germany was more unionized than the US, so the company shouldn't be averse to paying a union scale. It appears, however, that the company is coming over here looking for cheap wages. It has happened - the powers that be have managed to frighten the working class enough that we are moving toward third world wages.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

BMW has done this for years (Spartansburg, SC). Interestingly, IG Metall (the German equivalent of the UAW (only smarter)), does not protest. They figure that as long as the company stays profitable by making money in foreign markets, they will retain their jobs with a profitable company in der Vaterland.

BTW, some call centers are being opened by Indian entrepreneurs in the US as labor is getting cheaper here than in Bangalore.

What goes around comes around. I have no issue with the Germans coming here and opening up a non-union shop. It beats the hell out of no shop at all.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

It appears that they want the union label on this product. They just don't want to have to pay too much for it.

Regards,

D-ray
Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Whenever China moves in because we will work cheaper than slaves, then it's time to turn out the lights.

Chas
Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Maybe the Deutcher's should built it in Mexico and import its finished product duty free via NAFTA?

A bunch of modest paying jobs beat the hell out of a zero higher paying jobs. Wasn't this what the US auto industry debacle was all about? The unions should not let the perfect be the enemy of the good IMHO.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Resident octogenarian

Besides if we don't let them in we will get another lecture from Angela Merkle.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Friday I was visiting with the business manager of one of the local construction unions. One of the local contractors approached him about setting up a production shop (production shops are not subject to the construction CBA, and don't require journeymen workers). This company had entered into a venture with a German company that has a patent on a new type of product. The companies were looking for a low-ball deal in which they would not even offer retirement benefits, and lower wages than most of the production shops around.

I mentioned that Germany was more unionized than the US, so the company shouldn't be averse to paying a union scale. It appears, however, that the company is coming over here looking for cheap wages. It has happened - the powers that be have managed to frighten the working class enough that we are moving toward third world wages.

Regards,

D-Ray
Well, GOOD! Think of all of the money businesses will save, Don! That's just awesome. I'm so happy for them. I'm gonna go get out my poster of Ronnie Reagan and give it a big, wet kiss. I'm so happy his dream of turning Americas workforce into a bunch of yazzabossin' step-n-fetchits is coming true. It's a glorious day for unfettered capitalism and greedy corporate freedom indeedy. Do ya think they'll finally be free to bullwhip us as well? One can only hope. We've been real uppity the last few decades, God knows we deserve a good whoopin'.

Jus, doan lay me off, Massa. I be good sho' 'nough. Shine dose shoes up real nice!

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-12-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Besides if we don't let them in we will get another lecture from Angela Merkle.
Unfortunately, Frau Merkle could probably teach us a great deal about running the economy. I doubt we'll listen, however.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4aad862e-e...#axzz17vyeUt00

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-november.html
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Unfortunately, Frau Merkle could probably teach us a great deal about running the economy. I doubt we'll listen, however.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4aad862e-e...#axzz17vyeUt00

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-november.html
Damn, Finn, you're putting a shot across everyone's bow today.

Did you take sourpuss pills for breakfast???

Go eat your chicken, maybe you'll be less cantankerous with a full belly.

Chas
Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Damn, Finn, you're putting a shot across everyone's bow today.

Did you take sourpuss pills for breakfast???

Go eat your chicken, maybe you'll be less cantankerous with a full belly.

Chas
I thought I was being charming.

I'll also admit having a little bit of a thin skin with regard to contemporary Germany, having lived there for over a decade. I loved it and still have a lot of friends there, not to mention a son who just moved there in September.